Author Topic: Avast Home Edition and Windows Security Center(WSC),problems  (Read 12228 times)

avasta!

Re: Avast Home Edition and Windows Security Center(WSC),problems
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 09:33:52 PM »
Thanks everybody but the problem persists!
I've formatted because the repair method caused problems.Windows can't boot in any way(safe mode,last correct configuration).
So I've divided the hard disk in two parts:One for Windows XP and one for documents.
I'm sure that the problem started with file system conversion!
now it's ok.Avast is recognized and in event viewer there isn't error 1802.
Thanks for your suggestion!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 11:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, whilst it is a pain reformatting and starting again at least everything is up and running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rafel

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 12:07:25 AM »
When i've got a "hard" problem like this, i format my PC. I've got partitions too. But i've got 3 ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 01:28:25 AM »
If I ever gaot a problem like that I just restore my last back-up image all done in around 15 minutes, less than the time to install the OS not to mention all the other hassle. I don't know why more people don't use hard disk imaging software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avasta!

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
If I ever gaot a problem like that I just restore my last back-up image all done in around 15 minutes, less than the time to install the OS not to mention all the other hassle. I don't know why more people don't use hard disk imaging software.

When I start windows after installation I've created a restore point.Then I've installed Avast,Office,alcohol and other software.Is it the same thing as creating an hard disk image?If not,what software will I use to do?
This Hard Disk image looks like an cd-rom image file(.iso or similar)?So will I have a big file,about 4 or 5 GB?Can I store on multiple dvds if it's larger than 4.7 GB?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 04:42:35 AM »
Is it the same thing as creating an hard disk image?
No, it's not. System Restore backups only few system files and other configurations (drivers, etc.). For sure it's better than nothing but it's not a backup feature.

If not,what software will I use to do?
Acronis True Image, or Norton Ghost.

This Hard Disk image looks like an cd-rom image file(.iso or similar)?
More or less... a big file that could only be opened by the program that generated it.

So will I have a big file,about 4 or 5 GB?
It could be compressed, but depends on how many files are you really backing up.

Can I store on multiple dvds if it's larger than 4.7 GB?
Sure, they allow splitting the backup big file.
The best things in life are free.

avasta!

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:07:41 PM »
Thanks Tech.
I'm using now Acronis True Image v.7 and I've created an image of my hard disk just after installation with a few necessary programs(as Office,Avast,Outpost Firewall,Printer Drivers).
Now my hard disk is divided in 2.One for Operating System(7 GB)and one for datas(7 GB)
With Acronis I've saved only the partition with Operating System.The image file can be written on a DVD because is about 3 GB.
As my hard disk drive is only 14 GBytes when I'll bought a new one larger I'll be able to restore on it this partition trying to extend to at least 20 GB.I think Acronis can do this.
So next time I'll be ready in about 20 minutes!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 02:33:51 PM »
True Image v7 is quite old I think they are on v11 now, I still use Drive Image v7.1 the last DI version before Symantec bought out PowerQuest the makers of Drive Image. That still works very well for me and it is what my friend also uses as he had problems with True Image (earlier versions and I can't recall if that was v7) restoring backup images.

So I would suggest that you do some tests image your second partition and try restoring that to make sure the restoration process works. Best to find out when you aren't up to your a** in alligators.

I would also suggest you back up all partitions, even done one at a time to DVD as they both really need to be backed up as if you get a hard disk failure that second partition is lost.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
I'm using now Acronis True Image v.7 and I've created an image of my hard disk just after installation with a few necessary programs(as Office,Avast,Outpost Firewall,Printer Drivers).
It's the last freeware version. I think it does NOT work with Vista.

As my hard disk drive is only 14 GBytes when I'll bought a new one larger I'll be able to restore on it this partition trying to extend to at least 20 GB.I think Acronis can do this.
Yes, Acronis could manage increasing/decreasing partitions while restoring/backing up.
The best things in life are free.