Author Topic: Cannot connect to Avast Website  (Read 38409 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot connect to Avast Website
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 03:06:49 AM »
Your log seems ok.

I'm not an expert on HijackThis... But you can check the automatic analysis of your HijackThis log here.

You can find more info in the links of the last column of this table.
That info could guide you on the cleaning process.
Anyway, if you have doubts, just post here.
Also, take a careful look at the first column of the table:

1. If you don't recognize a legit program in one of the items marked as FIX IF UNKNOWN, please post it back here and maybe we can help you. Or, if you're sure it's a malware item, you can remove it as posted bellow.

2. If you agree with the automatic classification of the infected items marked as FIX (CHECK NOTES!), you can turn back to HijackThis program, check the box of this item and then remove it using the button 'Fix checked'.

Hope it helps.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 04:19:43 AM »
Like Tech, I'm not an expert on hijackthis logs. There are a lot of others here that are.

Which symantec products do you or did you have installed? I see some refernces to a live updater for norton internet security suite.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 04:25:51 AM »
Which symantec products do you or did you have installed? I see some refernces to a live updater for norton internet security suite.
Very good point... you're fully right... with Symantec products the user will have conflicts and maybe this is exactly what is preventing him to connect.

1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista 2008.0.0.21.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! Boot.
5) See what you get.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 04:30:40 AM »
Tech, the user's connection problem has been resolved. It was a hosts file modification. A list of av and security sites had been added. Now we're trying to determine what may have done this and is it still present on the computer. It could have been a drive by kinda thing to.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 04:36:13 AM »
So, he must follow your advices...

AVG anti-spyware
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Or SUPERantispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Or
Spyware Terminator
a-squared (take care about false positives).

If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

aussie ness

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
I thought some of Norton was still on my machine. Have used your link and (hopefully) gotten rid of all traces. Thanks Tech. The link you gave me for analysis shows a file sharing page. This is safe isn't it?

Oldman,I downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware and ran a thorough scan. It found entries in two rarely used accounts. This leads me to wonder whether Ad-aware and Spybot scan these two accounts (My husband has his own log in and the Guest account) Anyway will continue working through these fixes. Thank you.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
After running the norton removal tool, did your preformance improve? Which line was shown as a file sharing page?

What did avg find?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 11:07:05 PM »
The link you gave me for analysis shows a file sharing page. This is safe isn't it?
Where? On K9? The links are safe.

aussie ness

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »
Hi......sorry I haven't been back to you......have been super busy.
The AVG report was

mozilla.29:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : No action taken.
:mozilla.30:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Adtech : No action taken.
:mozilla.28:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : No action taken.
:mozilla.6:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : No action taken.
:mozilla.13:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Doubleclick : No action taken.
:mozilla.14:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Imrworldwide : No action taken.
:mozilla.15:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Imrworldwide : No action taken.
:mozilla.15:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Realmedia : No action taken.
:mozilla.34:C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\76ajr282.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Realtracker : No action taken.
:mozilla.16:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.17:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.18:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.19:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.20:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.21:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.22:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.23:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
:mozilla.24:C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\6xhi6lob.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : No action taken.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ness\Cookies\ness@m.webtrends[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Webtrends : No action taken.

I did "kill" them even though it says no action taken. My computer seems to be responding better. (Not as slow to load programs)

Super Anti Spyware found some too.

Adware.Tracking Cookie
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@acvs.mediaonenetwork[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@ad.joetec[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@azjmp[2].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@media.sensis.com[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@media.soundbuzz[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@mediaonenetwork[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@mediaservices.myspace[1].txt
   C:\Documents and Settings\Katie\Cookies\katie@www.3dstats[2].txt
Ness

aussie ness

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 01:18:10 AM »
Which line was shown as a file sharing page?
I'm not an expert on HijackThis... But you can check the automatic analysis of your HijackThis log here.
Tech...I understand what you wanted me to do now, was worried about downloading something that already had my name on it! Anyway am currently printing 11 pages of the analysis and will try to look at it when I get home from work. There is quite a few "Fix if Unknown"s and one "Fix.Check Notes" Entry.

FIX (CHECK NOTES!)     O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] Internationa l*     Currently only the 'CommonName' hijacker uses this.     Extra group in IE 'Advanced Options' window     Google

I have no idea what this means!
Ness

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »
Tracking cookies really are a minimal risk though avg-as makes a big deal of it and SAS is doing the same cookies really aren't a big deal.

I would leave the O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International* as it is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 04:06:18 AM »
I would leave the O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International* as it is.
Me too... this seems a 'mistake' from the automatic analysis.

aussie ness

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
Ok cool, will leave that one as is.
I wonder about a few other entries......should I finish off this thread since it has changed topics and start a new thread in General Topics? (Or should I head over to Bleeping Computer since my Avast is going well now and these aren't Avast related inquiries?)
What's the etiquette here?
I really appreciate your quick and helpful responses guys. Thank You!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 09:04:20 AM »
Just to confirm a couple of things. Since running the norton removal tool, your computer seems to be running better?  You now have a hosts file (as in hosts with no extention), correct?

jmcquadesr

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »
goto C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

open hosts with word pad

and make sure this is all that is there, this is a copy direct from mine. That came with windows. i have noticed that some of these viruses are loading this up to block you from getting updates. typically, I use it on my daughters side to block sites That I do not want her on.. =)

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost