Author Topic: Avast for Mac not listed on the Web Site  (Read 28283 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast for Mac not listed on the Web Site
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »
Pavel,

Avast is running fine. But I did find a minor Quirk.

The installer Seemed to freeze Toward the end. I minimized the installer to the dock and found that it was actually waiting for me to choose the options (install mail support, launch at startup etc.) But the window for those options popped up behind the installer so it really did look like it froze.

Any way to make that window be the active window when it comes up?

THis occurred on both PowerPC and Intel

EDIT here is a screenshot from My Intel system showing what i mean
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/barkerkr/Picture1-1.png
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:19:18 PM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 02:03:55 PM »
I'm sorry to say I have no clue since I haven't had a chance to install avast! for Mac yet. I am swamped with work last few days, last night I worked till 1 AM (client set some crazy deadlines), and I am back to work again... sorry  :-\
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 10:18:31 PM »
Avast did not automatically add itself to the login items on Leopard (Intel). So I had to manually add it to have avast launch at each bootup.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
Avast did not automatically add itself to the login items on Leopard (Intel). So I had to manually add it to have avast launch at each bootup.

Thanks for Your info. The "hidden installer setup dialog" problem was already known and is fixed in the latest RC (see the beta-site), the "launch after startup" problem will be fixed in the very next RC.

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

justin1278

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:34:01 AM »
Any ideas what pricing will be for avast! for Mac?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 03:42:14 PM »

Hmmm, this effect isn't Leopard-related only (occurs, for example, on a freshly installed Tiger too *). Unfortunately, this functionality (~ adding to LoginItems by a "third party, non-preferenced" app) isn't officially supported nor recommended by Apple (according to OCS, Apple states "This is not done."). Some applications use a half-dirty trick how to do this (Apple posted this "hint" to some developers who requested this functionality), and we did it basically using the same method. We'll try to workaround this case.

* after addind anything (even temporarily) to LoginItems, the whole mechanism starts to work since this moment. that's why nobody noticed, because avast! isn't usually the very first application that we have installed.
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)