Author Topic: Adware & Trojans: Winantispyware!  (Read 37210 times)

tryan21

Re: Adware & Trojans: Winantispyware!
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
Also there are quite a few files in the ComboFix quarantine folders that could be uploaded to avast!.

How exactly do I do this? I thought I knew how, but I couldn't seem to find the quarantine folder. :P

mauserme

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2007, 06:54:01 PM »
Great - the logs look just fine now.

If you open C:\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt you will see the exact locations and file names.  Since there will be several files its probably easiest to open avast! by right clicking the a-icon, open the chest, then click the icon to add files to the user section.  Navigate to each of the files listed in the quarantine test file, add the to the user section, then click to icon to send them to Alwil.

Well - Essexboy and I have made suggestions in the wishlist to make this process easier but that won't happen soon I think ....

Anyway, after uploading them or giving up trying, whichever happens first, rename HijackTryan.exe back to hijackthis.exe and rename Tryanfix.exe back to Combofix.exe.  Then open OTMoveIt again and click the Clean Up button.   Then when asked if you want to proceed with the cleanup, press Yes.  This will remove the tools we downloaded and the malware backups.

Download and install  CleanUp[/u][/color], rebooting the computer if requested during installation.  Open the program and click the Clean Up button in order to remove temporary files, browsing history, etc.  It's a good practice to use this program from time to time as malware can lurk in some of these locations.  I usually run this program after every browsing session.

Next we will re-set your restore points to make sue no malware is hiding there. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean.

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System
 Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore
 Point

3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point; to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk
 Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box
 with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP
 button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will
 close and you are done

I recommend you keep SuperAntiSpyware - a weekly scan will help keep your computer clean.

Spyware Blaster[/u][/color] is good prevention against many malware and uses no system resources other than during the update process.  Make sure to update and enable the definitions every 3 to 4 weeks.

You should also have a third party firewall - Comodo, PC Tools Firewall, and Zone Alarm all have free version worth considering.

Finally, Filehippo and a small tool you can download to check not only that your Java is up to date but a whole raft of other programs as well.

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Simply download it to your desktop and double click to run it - no installation is needed.  Some forum members have expressed concern about letting a tool look so deeply at their computers and I shared those concerns when I first started using this, but I've learned not only to trust it but to rely on it.  Is still in Beta but quite stable and usefull.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:06:57 PM by mauserme »

tryan21

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2007, 03:59:47 AM »
Ok, did all the clean up and downloaded spyware blaster.

I did have a third party firewall awhile back, but it wouldn't let me do anything online. It drove me crazy because I didn't know anything about it or the settings so I never knew how to get around it.

Once again I want to thank you for all your help. ;)

mauserme

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2007, 04:30:35 AM »
You're welcome  :)