Author Topic: Avast and Windows defender  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Avast and Windows defender
« on: September 23, 2021, 06:41:42 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering but when I install say avast on my PC will the ram that windows defender uses on windows 10 be freed up? I don't really want two antivirus products using up all the ram if it can be avoided.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast and Windows defender
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:07:06 AM »
Give your PC the Ctrl+Alt+Shift salute and you will see it from the Task Manager indications when you have started up Task Manager,
so you can establish it all by yourself. Summa summarum there should not be any difference in weight on the old cycles. ;)

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast and Windows defender
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 12:06:39 PM »
Windows Defender should be disabled by the Windows, when you install Avast (the same for other 3rd party AVs) to prevent conflict.

That said Windows Defender may still have carry out periodic scans still enabled and it would still be updating its virus definitions for these scans.  Also some Windows 10 features may still be checking downloads, I read something on that but can't recall where.

I went into the Windows Defender settings, and disabled these periodic scans and any other thing that could result in a scan/conflict.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security