Author Topic: new to forum and found a trojan. Anyone give advice  (Read 2487 times)

orilliaman

new to forum and found a trojan. Anyone give advice
« on: September 19, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »
hi am new here so first hello to everyone.
my wife has run avast and it found a trojan called win32 prosti bt
but i can't find ant info on it avast has dealt with it but i like to know about these things for future reference so does anyone know anything about it.

Thanks

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: new to forum and found a trojan. Anyone give advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
Hi orilliaman,

Probably a variation on this:

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/trojprostibu.html

If you use your computer for shopping or banking, or for any other confidential information, you should be aware that criminals may have accessed your computer. Contact your bank or credit card company for information. As a wise precaution, change any passwords now.

Run the usual free adware/spyware/Trojan scanners as a double check:

AVG Anti-Spyware Free (Requires Win2k/XP)
Ad-Aware Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware Free
a-Squared Free

Download, install and update the programs. Disconnect from the internet (pull the plug) before running scans in Safe Mode if possible.

Always select the option to quarantine any malware found rather than delete it, then you will be able to restore files or registry entries wrongly identified as malware- a rare but not unknown event for any malware scanner.

When you have finished, scan for out-of-date and insecure software using Secunia Software Inspector and update any vulnerable software: this will help to prevent future infections.

Install SpywareBlaster also to prevent future infections: don't forget to update every month or so.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog