Author Topic: Does Avast Mobile Security FREE update its virus definitions automatically?  (Read 9608 times)

Offline labonitaeli

I am looking for a free antivirus for my grandmother's cell phone. I've heard that Avast is a great option, but I wanted to confirm if the free version for Android updates its virus definitions automatically. Please help me!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Does Avast Mobile Security FREE update its virus definitions automatically?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 09:10:51 AM »
Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline labonitaeli

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 10:10:04 PM »
Do you know how long the automatic update process takes? When my grandma's phone connects to the Internet, I tap on the three lines, then on "Options", "Updates", and I see that the date of the virus definitions are still from the previous day or from two days ago. I have waited up to one hour to see if the virus definitions will update automatically, but the only way to update the virus definitions seems to be tapping on the "Search for updates" green text. I have tried with another Android phone and a tablet, and the virus definitions don't seem to update automatically.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
Do you know how long the automatic update process takes? When my grandma's phone connects to the Internet, I tap on the three lines, then on "Options", "Updates", and I see that the date of the virus definitions are still from the previous day or from two days ago. I have waited up to one hour to see if the virus definitions will update automatically, but the only way to update the virus definitions seems to be tapping on the "Search for updates" green text. I have tried with another Android phone and a tablet, and the virus definitions don't seem to update automatically.

Hi,

Virus definitions on mobile are not regular. If you go to "Settings" > "Activity log"  it should show the version and time of the last update.

Offline sarah2000

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »
I had noticed the same thing. The virus definitions sometimes don't seem to be up-to-date. So that means that even if the date of the virus definitions is not the current date (because the virus definitions on mobile are not regular), my device will be protected? Is it because of Avast's "real time protection" or something like that? Will the virus definitions date eventually update to the current date? Can you please let me know??

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
I had noticed the same thing. The virus definitions sometimes don't seem to be up-to-date. So that means that even if the date of the virus definitions is not the current date (because the virus definitions on mobile are not regular), my device will be protected? Is it because of Avast's "real time protection" or something like that? Will the virus definitions date eventually update to the current date? Can you please let me know??

Hi,

Even if the virus definitions are a day old, the shields are still running, keeping malware away. The virus definitions will also automatically update once the new virus definitions are available.

Offline sarah2000

I'd like to ask one more thing: Now I understand that the virus definitions are not regular on mobile, and that even if the virus definitions are a day old, my phone is still protected by Avast... Then why does the virus definitions date change to the current date if I update the virus definitions manually (by tapping on "Check for updates")? I'd like to know because I feel like the current/new virus definitions are always available to be downloaded/installed, but the Avast Android app just doesn't update them automatically. Please let me know when you have a minute.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
I'd like to ask one more thing: Now I understand that the virus definitions are not regular on mobile, and that even if the virus definitions are a day old, my phone is still protected by Avast... Then why does the virus definitions date change to the current date if I update the virus definitions manually (by tapping on "Check for updates")? I'd like to know because I feel like the current/new virus definitions are always available to be downloaded/installed, but the Avast Android app just doesn't update them automatically. Please let me know when you have a minute.

Hi,

The app checks for new updates in cycles (every few hours), and if you are not connected to the internet all the time, it might seem that way. The best thing would be to keep the phone connected to the internet for a few days and then look at the "Activity log" in Settings in Avast Mobile Security. You should see if there were any attempts to check for updates.

Offline Shirlene3

Hi, so frequently it seems as though someone is turning off my VPN on my phone. I will notice the icon is not on so I will go into my app then suddenly it is reconnecting.  Is someone hacking in and shuting it down ? Or does this mean something else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hi, so frequently it seems as though someone is turning off my VPN on my phone. I will notice the icon is not on so I will go into my app then suddenly it is reconnecting.  Is someone hacking in and shuting it down ? Or does this mean something else?

This really should be its own new topic as it isn't really related to this topic (hijacking).
There is a sub-forum for mobile products, since you don't mention your phone or its operating system, what version of avast you have or even if it is the Avast VPN. Information really is the key to being able to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

Avast Mobile Security does NOT update its virus definitions automatically
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:45:12 PM »
hi,

it is old posting here but finally I found other users with that problem.
For many months till now I noticed that the virus definitions of the Avast Mobile never update automatically. And this starts happening last year August-September, maybe little earlier. Till that moment the virus definitions got automatically updated immediately after starting my tablet/or other mobile device or after reconnecting to internet. And it was not depending on how long the device was offline/turned off. I have that in my activity log. After that moment the auto update of the virus definitions got broken. New virus definitions are available not the Avast mobile app dosent want the check fot them online. I have that problem on many mobile devices, one is with the newest Android and hardware, other with older Android versions. I have also tryed older Avast versions but still the same.
Please check this in your Settings->Activity log and give feedback.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 10:13:12 AM »
Hi,

Please make sure that nothing on your device is preventing the app from running.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/264/

Offline cska133

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 02:34:43 AM »
as i wrote is virus definitions were updated regular till last year, after that nothing was changed on the devices but suddenly the auto update of the virus definitions stopped. All permissions are given.
Could some other users just check their activity log if the virus definitons are auto updated permanently!!!

Offline dwh

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 07:17:14 AM »
as i wrote is virus definitions were updated regular till last year, after that nothing was changed on the devices but suddenly the auto update of the virus definitions stopped. All permissions are given.
Could some other users just check their activity log if the virus definitons are auto updated permanently!!!

When I check my activity log, I do see (approximately) daily virus updates logged in it.  (version 6.46.2.)

-dwh

Offline cska133

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 11:29:55 PM »
is that happening also before upgrading to Avast v6.46 ?