Author Topic: Does Avast Mobile Security FREE update its virus definitions automatically?  (Read 9610 times)

Offline dwh

Re: Does Avast Mobile Security FREE update its virus definitions automatically?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 03:23:00 AM »
is that happening also before upgrading to Avast v6.46 ?

I can only say I didn't notice anything suspicious.  I have no way of looking back.

-dwh

Offline cska133

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2022, 05:36:06 AM »
ok, thanks.

I will be great if other users look in their activity log to check if the virus definitions are updated automatically, pease! I can not figure it out on 3 mobile devices with 3 different Android versions and all of the permissions/services of Avast are enabled and batttey optimisations of Avast are off. It is frustrating  :-\

Offline cska133

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 05:35:34 PM »
It can not be true, that no one of the Avast users would like to check its activity log :-(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 08:23:25 PM »
It can not be true, that no one of the Avast users would like to check its activity log :-(

No one from Avast has asked for one and you haven't posted it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Barbara J Maggiani

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 04:09:01 AM »
My virus defs only update automatically maybe once every 24-36 hours. I go into settings >updates and force an update myself many times a day. And I have the Paid, Avast Mobile Security Premium app. This has been going on for at least 8 months.

Just spent 45 min writing up a bunch here, picked up phone and lost the damn page. I read the activity log all the time. Mostly to check when Avast updated my virus defs. But at this point I'm used to just checking & running it myself.... Because I've got to open the app home screen a zillion times a day due to... See below

Meanwhile I've got WARNING alerts from this app going off every few minutes.
There is never anything  suspicious, wrong or detected.
Unless I'm being punished for not having some kind of screen lock, VPN or Anti-theft enabled.  The device is secured in my house except for maybe 2 hrs a month. Then it's vpn'd and locked.
Samsung Galaxy Note10+,  Android 12 One UI 4.0 (for past 2 weeks),  Avast security ver. 6.46.2
(plus 2 other paid Avast apps.)

So if anyone has an answer to the updating of virus defs or the crazy constant alerts... Do tell.

Offline cska133

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 07:17:19 PM »

No one from Avast has asked for one and you haven't posted it.
do you mean the activity log? I havent posted it because there is nothing about trying to update the virus definitions. Or should i Post it anyway?
Maybe Avast staff can check if there is nothing wrong with the regulate virus definitions update?

My virus defs only update automatically maybe once every 24-36 hours. I go into settings >updates and force an update myself many times a day. And I have the Paid, Avast Mobile Security Premium app. This has been going on for at least 8 months.

Just spent 45 min writing up a bunch here, picked up phone and lost the damn page. I read the activity log all the time. Mostly to check when Avast updated my virus defs. But at this point I'm used to just checking & running it myself.... Because I've got to open the app home screen a zillion times a day due to... See below

Meanwhile I've got WARNING alerts from this app going off every few minutes.
There is never anything  suspicious, wrong or detected.
Unless I'm being punished for not having some kind of screen lock, VPN or Anti-theft enabled.  The device is secured in my house except for maybe 2 hrs a month. Then it's vpn'd and locked.
Samsung Galaxy Note10+,  Android 12 One UI 4.0 (for past 2 weeks),  Avast security ver. 6.46.2
(plus 2 other paid Avast apps.)

So if anyone has an answer to the updating of virus defs or the crazy constant alerts... Do tell.
So are your virus definitions updated automatically or not, I can not understand it from what you wrote. Once you write they update every 24-36 hours , this is ok. Then you write you must do it manelly. Can you clarify please!

Offline Barbara J Maggiani

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 08:27:26 PM »
Apologies. Ok, the virus defs are updated BOTH ways. Avast updates automatically many less times then updates are actually available.  Possibly they put them all together into one update. But I don't want to wait X number of hours, when I'm actively using my device jumping around to different websites, receiving phishing texts & emails, etc, despite being extremely cautious.  I don't want to wait when an update is sitting there and I'm paying for this "premium security"
app. And the only way, to tell if you are forcing the update or Avast is auto- updating is by cross checking in your Activity log. Usually you need to check several days in a row.  What I do is open settings> open updates> click Check for updates> then go to Activity log.  It's easy first thing in yr day, when you look at date on Virus defs.  (obviously yr device needs to be turned on all night for this check to work) For me, 75% of my early mornings, the virus defs day is still on previous date. I update, and in log it shows I've just updated the defs.
I hope that's clear. (apologies no time for grammar, typos etc right now)

Offline cska133

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 10:17:13 PM »
ok, thanks