Author Topic: Vista and Avast compatible firewall, spyware  (Read 9849 times)

AKAJohnDoe

Re: Vista and Avast compatible firewall, spyware
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »
What I am using on Vista I have documented on my website http://www.AKAJohnDoe.com under the PDA tab and then under the PC Security heading.

Liz

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:18 AM »
DavidR, glad to hear about using two mice.  I just found a converter at NewEgg to plug in my PS2 mouse and keyboard from my old Dell I bought in 1998, which I still use, into a USB slot on my new Dell, hope they're not too old and this works for backup.  Last thing I need on my desk is three mice and keyboards instead of just two!  :)

I decided to reinstall the PC Tools Firewall (never used Comodo,  I think that one is not yet ready for Vista).  My mouse pointer and keyboard froze again after 5-10 minutes, like the last time.  All those hours of fiddling with the Bluetooth connection paid off in that I was able to get it going again, reboot to safe mode and uninstall the firewall, yet again--all by myself   ;D

I then decided it might not be a bluetooth problem.  I remember a Belkin tech telling me that the Belkin firewall and any added firewall might conflict and I might lose connection, so I called Belkin and he said yes, that could be the problem.  He was going to disable the Belkin firewall, but I said I didn't want to do that. I'm under the impression you get more protection with both, even on the inbound. He then had me download a firmware upgrade for the router.  I reinstalled PC Tools firewall and I am now back on the internet  with no problem so far (I left all the settings as is for 'normal' (regular?) user for now.  All fingers and toes crossed I don't lose connection again!  (I wonder why the tech wanted to disable the firewall rather than upgrade firmware...I guess I might find out the hard way if I wind up having more problems.)

BTW, I am WAY impressed with Belkin.  I bought this $40 router at Walmart along with a $15 ethernet card (different brand) for my old Dell and put both computers on the router so I can use both on my broadband.  I installed the ethernet card myself from directions in the box, and the router from the cd.  They both pretty much installed and configured themselves, could not have been easier.  PLUS, Belkin has 25/7 live telephone tech support for life:o They really do have good phone support, not just claiming that, and very little wait time, too...

Tech, before I decided to reinstall PC Tool firewall, I took a look at my Vista Firewall and got confused from the very beginning, I don't know if you can even enable just the inbound anymore.  It says this firewall was supposed to be enabled by default at the factory, but on my computer the whole thing was disabled for some reason.

rhuds13, good advice about the code injection thing, thanks! 

Spiritsongs, I have bookmarked all the rootkit sites you and DavidR posted, thanks!!

Well it has now been more than 2 1/2 hours since I reinstalled PC Tools firewall and I'm still good to go...Too early to uncross all the toes and fingers though...

thanks again all you guys!
Liz

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:48 PM »
I think the suggestion by the Tech may have been the line of least resistance that takes less time and effort to close a support instance than trying to find out if the two firewalls are conflicting and what to do about it or downloading the firmware update, etc.

The firmware update may effect more than just the firewall function and if you had a problem in installing the firmware it could have seriously effected your router to the point of no functioning connection. Generally you leave firmware well alone unless there is an issue attributable to it and then you absolutely have to do it. So it may well just have been caution on his part rather than any ulterior motive.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Liz

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:36 AM »
I thought about that, too, DavidR, that it was probably easier just to disable the firewall in the router than try to fix the problem.  Also easier just to tell me to not use another firewall and depend on the router firewall alone.

Well, I spoke too soon.  I started having problems when I restarted my computer.  I called Belkin back and talked to a level two guy.  He says that the router firewall has both inbound and outbound protection because it checks the packets both ways, yaddah yaddah--I don't know enough about the various firewall methods to know if this is really true or not, but I can tell you I am tired of messin' around with firewalls...at this point I'd just as soon let the house burn down!     ;D

For now anyway I am going to take the tech's advice and just depend on the router...actually I tried clicking on disabling the router from my Belkin page and it wouldn't disable, so THEN I decided to stick with it!  ::)  later I might get the tech guy to disable it, after I take a nice long break from firewalls...

I guess I was lucky with the firmware upgrade, no other problems--so far anyway!

OK, so here's the good of all this, at least I have a firewall of some sort, and antispyware, and rootkit help if I need it, and last but certainly not least, an antivirus program that I have really liked for years now.  Did I mention that my new computer came with Norton installed and gave nothing but problems so I uninstalled it and installed Avast, all within about 5-10 mins myself, and Avast has never given a problem--knock on wood (madly rapping knuckles on the top of my head)

thanks again, guys!
Liz

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 01:56:16 PM »
Thanks for the update, there aren't that many routers with firewalls that provide protection in both directions. Though I would be surprised if it is as good or configurable as a third party software firewall. But, I understand the feeling of leaving well alone most people don't get motivated until something happens ;D

There are many Ex Norton users who are now happy avast! users and the first thing most find that their system much more responsive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security