Author Topic: Anyone using Avast One for MacOS yet?  (Read 8135 times)

Offline richtel

Anyone using Avast One for MacOS yet?
« on: October 03, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »
Looking for real-world experiences!

I tried my old Avast Premium Security on my Macbook Pro (M1, Big Sur) a couple of months ago and it was, to be fair, a bit of a disappointment. Avast installed a VPN I didn't want to use, and couldn't even be uninstalled without faffing about in a terminal window as root. Hardly a great experience.

Now my Windows PC are using Avast One (and it seems fine!), there's the temptation to try it on my Macbook again. Any experiences so far?

Cheers
Rich.

Offline kbillie7

Re: Anyone using Avast One for MacOS yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 05:27:35 AM »
I upgraded to Avast premium, and immediately my computer was barely working. It took 5 minutes just to open up Google Chrome, and any "click" after that was another 5 minutes. I uninstalled it, and now my computer is working fine.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 10:20:37 AM »
I upgraded to Avast premium, and immediately my computer was barely working. It took 5 minutes just to open up Google Chrome, and any "click" after that was another 5 minutes. I uninstalled it, and now my computer is working fine.

Hi,
Please re-post your question here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0
Alternatively, as a paid subscriber, you can also contact Avast Support for help via: https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/paid_mac_avast-premium-security-for-mac

Offline gunshycc

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 11:17:09 PM »
Running MacBook Pro with Monterey12.1, and Avast updated to their new free version.

I have fiberoptic internet, with typical download speed of 250Mbps, and 150Mbps upload. I am running a Google MESH wireless router.

When I run speediest by OOkla, all of my other devices will show the speeds I listed above. Not so on this MacBook Pro running this version of Avast one. Speeds drop to 60Mbps or lower download, and about the same on the upload. Makes no difference if I use Safari or Chrome.

"Network" shows the WiFi active, and Avast Security also. Tried turning Avast One off, but it won't stay off. Uninstalled Avast One, but some part of it remained and the problem continued. Reinstalled Avast One, and problem persists.

Why can't I turn Avast Security off? And keep it off when I want top performance?

Better yet, why is Avast One so badly reducing my Internet speeds at all in the first place? Not a single other device not using this Avast One program is having a problem like this, and tests show all of the other devices are getting top internet speeds and performance. iPhones, iPads, other Macs in house, and all of them accessing all other same wireless router hardware, internet access hardware, and internet access.

Up till now, I liked Avast!, used it for years, and recommended it to many. Now with this latest version, I think I want it gone for good, and uninstalling it showed it won't go away, nor this latest problem it brought with it. Can't say I'm impressed with the customer service or feedback methods with it either.

Am I the only one having these issues?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 01:25:53 PM »
Running MacBook Pro with Monterey12.1, and Avast updated to their new free version.

I have fiberoptic internet, with typical download speed of 250Mbps, and 150Mbps upload. I am running a Google MESH wireless router.

When I run speediest by OOkla, all of my other devices will show the speeds I listed above. Not so on this MacBook Pro running this version of Avast one. Speeds drop to 60Mbps or lower download, and about the same on the upload. Makes no difference if I use Safari or Chrome.

"Network" shows the WiFi active, and Avast Security also. Tried turning Avast One off, but it won't stay off. Uninstalled Avast One, but some part of it remained and the problem continued. Reinstalled Avast One, and problem persists.

Why can't I turn Avast Security off? And keep it off when I want top performance?

Better yet, why is Avast One so badly reducing my Internet speeds at all in the first place? Not a single other device not using this Avast One program is having a problem like this, and tests show all of the other devices are getting top internet speeds and performance. iPhones, iPads, other Macs in house, and all of them accessing all other same wireless router hardware, internet access hardware, and internet access.

Up till now, I liked Avast!, used it for years, and recommended it to many. Now with this latest version, I think I want it gone for good, and uninstalling it showed it won't go away, nor this latest problem it brought with it. Can't say I'm impressed with the customer service or feedback methods with it either.

Am I the only one having these issues?

Hi,

Can you please provide us with a support file (Help menu - Avast Tech Support - Generate support package) and screenshots from the speed test results when:
1. Avast One  is running
2. Avast One is uninstalled (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Uninstall-One/?option=mac)

Offline gunshycc

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 03:59:21 AM »
Did as requested, except for uninstalling Avast One and doing another speediest.

I told the tech people they have enough to start looking into the problem, and I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Avast One, and that fixed nothing.

Also noted that if i hit the tab to disconnect security, it only stays off for a few minutes, and fires right back up, unbidden to do so.

I think Avast has a lot to fix, and explain what exactly was the "Upgrade" from the former version of Avast!.

Offline Samuel_

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 12:16:45 AM »
Anyone in this forum help me?
I've got a bootkit virus/malware on my MacBook Pro and cannot perform a boot scan.
On Windows I had the same issue, performed a boot scan and my PC worked again.
Why on earth isn't there an option to boot scan on Mac?
I've performed every possible scan but nothing whatsoever is showing up but all the telltale signs of malware infection are there such as the pop ups, website redirections, occassional lag/freezing of screen, etc.

Offline richtel

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 12:41:18 PM »
^^ Thanks for the above. Until Avast manage to make the product suitable for MacOS, I think I'll look elsewhere!