Author Topic: Notification area icon vanishes  (Read 2362 times)

Offline davolente2

Notification area icon vanishes
« on: October 03, 2021, 08:54:19 PM »
I have several computers, all running Win 10 and Avast works fine on all but one, in as much that if I hover the cursor over the Avast notification area icon after boot-up, it promptly disappears and (I assume this is related) I can't bring up Avast's GUI when clicking on the desktop icon, even as "run as administrator". The tray icon re-appears when I do that and one appears every time I click and, once again, if I hover over them one at a time, they will all eventually vanish! I used the Avast removal tool in safe mode, as recommended, and re-installed to Avast 1 (I did have Avast free on that machine) but still have exactly the same problem. I have compared machines and I can't see anything that's different enough to be problematic. Services seem to be running OK but I just cannot access Avast in that machine, even though it appears to be running. I tried "repair" on the original Avast and also on Avast 1 and still no joy.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Notification area icon vanishes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:29:32 PM »
This may well be different for Avast One (I currently don't use it).
Have you tried an Avast Repair ?
AvastUI > Menu > Settings > General > Troubleshooting > APP Repair - Restart after completion.

If you can't find it in the UI, you could try the Windows Control Panel > Programs > Avast One - if you select that and Uninstall option it should offer an option to repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davolente2

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 11:02:13 PM »
Thanks but, as I mentioned, I did go through the "repair" option in both the old "free" version and now, in Avast One Essentials, and it told me that the program had been successfully updated on both occasions but I still have exactly the same problem. Looking back over the forum, it seems that people have had varying symptoms in the past associated with the tray icon coming and going but this is baffling. I have also compared permissions and properties on the AvastUI.exe file between the machines and seen nothing different. Can do nothing with services as (understandably) access is denied. Can't think of anything else!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 11:28:35 PM »
Sorry I missed that, when people don't use white space in a post (no paragraphs) I just see a bit of a blur and find it hard to maintain my place in the text.

If memory serves me well I think I saw a similar topic but in the Avast Free/Premium sub-forum about issues with the Avast Tray Icon and UI.  But I couldn't find it nor have I experienced it.  I can't recall if it occurred after the 21.8.xxxx version of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security