Author Topic: Term definitions  (Read 2747 times)

Offline vsammyl

Term definitions
« on: October 04, 2021, 04:54:27 PM »
This is my first time getting involved with a form. I have 2 questions. I am a computer novice and I'm not sure what is meant by the description statement in Avast Cleanup Premium for cleaning up Downloaded files. So could you explain what is meant by "If you'd like to keep any of them, though, we recommend moving them to another location."? Where would another location be?
   If I wanted to run Avast Cleanup Premium every morning before starting my computer day will that create a problem with my computer?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Term definitions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »
This is my first time getting involved with a form. I have 2 questions. I am a computer novice and I'm not sure what is meant by the description statement in Avast Cleanup Premium for cleaning up Downloaded files. So could you explain what is meant by "If you'd like to keep any of them, though, we recommend moving them to another location."? Where would another location be?
   If I wanted to run Avast Cleanup Premium every morning before starting my computer day will that create a problem with my computer?

Hi,

When you download a file from the internet, it normally gets saved in a location (folder) on your PC such as the Downloads folder. You can thus move them to a different folder (copy the files from the Downloads folder and paste them into a different location/folder of your choosing).
You might also find these guides useful: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Cleanup-Premium-FAQ/
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Use-Cleanup-Premium/
If you are a paid subscriber, you can contact support via https://support.avast.com/en-ww/contact/paid

Offline vsammyl

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
So, it doesn't make any difference which folder you save it to just as long it's different from the folder that it's already in, correct?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 07:43:31 PM »
So, it doesn't make any difference which folder you save it to just as long it's different from the folder that it's already in, correct?

It really doesn't make a difference which folder you save it to, but it would be best for it to be a folder of your making (not a windows default folder) and one you will remember.  The idea being not to store downloads in the default windows location as they are the locations most likely to be targeted by malware and obviously checked by the Avast CleanUp function.

I have two drives on my system a primary 256GB SSD drive and a secondary 1TB HDD, my secondary HDD is where I keep my data files, that includes a folder for my downloads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline vsammyl

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
Thanks, I finally got the answer I was looking for.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security