Author Topic: Avast Error Message in reliability monitor (Avast Update Helper)  (Read 4459 times)

Offline AliA88

Hi guys I have built a brand new pc and I installed Avast Free, Now and then randomly I get reliability monitor throw me this error:

Problem:
Unsuccessful application reconfiguration

Description:
Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Avast Update Helper. Product Version: 1.8.1065.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: AVAST Software. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1603.

I dont understand what the cause is, the system is brand new, avast is working and i have avast browser installed as its a really good browser, just for the sake of it i did re format my drive which is a samsung ssd, and re install the OS did a full wipe and clean install and again i get this error in reliability monitor. I do believe this is a avast issue as everything is up to date and so is avast.

Pc Specs:
i7 9700k
z390 mobo
32 gb ram
gtx 1070
850wat Evga PSU
500gb + 1tb Samsung Evo/QVO SSD

Offline AliA88

Re: Avast Error Message in reliability monitor (Avast Update Helper)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:44:55 PM »
Please see attached picture, This is a brand new pc, the only old part is the GPU. I dont understand why this issue is present.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »
Well, that's something for the devs to answer...
But afaik, it's somehow related to Secure Browser.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline K_Lesnik

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »
Hi @AliA88, our devs are currently investigating this issue. Would you mind sending us your browser logs?
Please open this link in Secure Browser:
secure://settings/diagnosticInfo
Click on "Copy to clipboard" and paste the copied content into a text editor. Save the file and send it to me via PM.

Thanks in advance!

KL

Offline thermoduric

• Lead Software Engineer
  • Avast team
    • Avast Secure Browser: Secure, fast, and private
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
Hi all. I'm one of the lead development engineers on the Secure Browser team. I just wanted to provide an update on this issue.

Firstly, please let me start by offering my sincere apologies that it's taken us a bit of time to be able to investigate this issue. Unfortunately, this particular warning, in the Windows Reliability report, is a bit vague and so it's been a bit tricky for us to figure out how to reliably reproduce it in our testing/engineering environment.

We have now identified an issue with the Browser's self-repair mode, which we believe to be the cause of this warning. I want to reassure everyone that the issue we've found isn't serious and has no direct impact on the Browser nor the integrity/security of your system.

Without wanting to get into too much technical detail, the issue can occur when Windows Maintenance speculatively runs the Browser's self-repair feature, during routine maintenance, to give it a chance to perform any necessary self-healing. Unfortunately, there was a configuration issue that caused this to fail under some circumstances.

Now, I will say that we have definitely found a reproducible issue and we do now have a fix for this in testing; however, due to the ubiquitous and vague nature of this warning, the issue you are seeing may be unrelated to the issue we've found and fixed. Put simply, there are several different reasons why Windows might report this warning and not all of them are within our control. We hope that the issue we've found and fixed will resolve this matter for a majority (if not all) of our users.

As I alluded, we are currently testing this fix and it may be a while before we've qualified it for general release. All code changes have to go through a thorough QA process and so I am not yet able to say exactly when we will be releasing an update. It is my sincere hope that we'll be able to get it released soon. Once we're in a position to provide more information on when this fix will be available, we will provide a further update.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed information to this thread to try and help us identify and fix the problem. Again, I can only apologise that it's taken us a while to track this down and I can only hope that the issue we've found and fixed serves to resolve this problem for all of our uses.

We will, of course, welcome feedback once the fix has been released and we will do our best to work with our users and the community to try and put this issue to bed once and for all.

Best regards.
- thermoduric

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 06:47:07 PM »
This obviously isn't a problem for everyone. I've checked my reliability history
and don't show any of these errors. I'm using the latest beta version of Omni.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline thermoduric

• Lead Software Engineer
  • Avast team
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
Today we have released v6.13.0 of the Browser installer, which contains a fix for this issue. Anyone doing a fresh install of ASB (Avast Secure Browser), via this version of the installer, should benefit from the fix immediately. If you already have ASB installed, the fix should eventually be rolled out to you automatically, as part of our automatic update process.

Hopefully, this fix should resolve this issue for the majority (if not all) of our users; however, please do post back here if you continue to experience this specific problem. If you have a new problem, unrelated to this, please start a new thread, as this thread is specifically for issues related to the Windows Reliability Monitor.

Thank you all for your patience whilst we investigated this issue.
- thermoduric

Offline geigerbc

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 01:33:00 AM »
I continue to have the exact same issue as AliA88.

Avast Secure Browser is up to date
Version 94.0.12328.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Avast Free Antivirus
Version 21.8.2487 - build 21.8.6586.695.

Offline thermoduric

• Lead Software Engineer
  • Avast team
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 02:39:40 PM »
Hi geigerbc,

The original issue was fixed in version 1.8.1189.1 of the Browser's update client. It is possible (although I can't think why) that you're still running an older version of the update client. You can check this by following these steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Browser's update client installation folder (by default this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Browser\Update).
2. Right click on the program AvastBrowserUpdate.exe and click "Properties".
3. Click on the "Details" tab.
4. Check the "File Version" is 1.8.1189.1.

If the version is not 1.8.1189.1, then you might be better off completely uninstalling the Browser (although this should delete the Browser's install folder, if it doesn't, please delete it) and doing a clean install. If you do that and the version installed is still not 1.8.1189.1 then please let us know and I'll raise the issue with our release team.

If the version is 1.8.1189.1, then it's possible the issue you are seeing is unrelated to the fix included in this release and so we'd need more details. You should be able to double-click on the Reliability Monitor entry and that will expand to show the full details of the issue. Please copy and paste the details to this thread.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:41:21 PM by thermoduric »
- thermoduric

Offline geigerbc

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 02:37:32 AM »
Thanks for your excellent directions.  The AvastBrowserUpdate.exe file version was 1.8.1065.0.

For now I'm just going to leave it uninstalled as I only used it a few times a year.  Thanks for your help.  I'm so glad forms still exist in some places on the internet which remain searchable.

Offline thermoduric

• Lead Software Engineer
  • Avast team
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
You are very welcome. Best wishes.
- thermoduric