Author Topic: Why is Avast blocking my web site  (Read 2538 times)

Offline DanDubinsky

Why is Avast blocking my web site
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:52:25 PM »
My company has a web site that the latest version of Avast seems to not like. The url is hxxps://app.sportsyou.com. Some Mac laptops  with Avast say it blocked the threat URL:Mal and some windows laptops say URL:Botnet. We aren't a malicious site or a Botnet (The site is actually an S3 bucket hosted on AWS) and as far as we know we haven't been hacked. Is there any way to find out why Avast is blocking it and what we need to do to get it unblocked. This just started today with the latest Avast update Version 15.0, virus definitions: 21100602 and it only seems to block on some computers and not others.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:44:55 PM by DanDubinsky »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why is Avast blocking my web site
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »
Just looking at the domain name and not sub.domain name
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/444b665e7b7bcb5daaf534e8214316b88c16980cafbc070c7c9619115cb46e92
Low Security Risk here - https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/sportsyou.com - but some points raised.
Some outdated software reported here - https://awesometechstack.com/analysis/website/sportsyou.com/
-  This may or may not be what Avast is alerting for - but you should certainly address this.

Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
You should get a response in a day or two.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DanDubinsky

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 11:37:33 PM »
Thanks for that. Those security checking sites are pretty great. We did submit that white list form, but until they respond a lot of users are getting blocked out of our product, so we are under some pressure here.

One thought we were kicking around was this. We only added the app.sportsyou.com domain yesterday. Now we have some requests to hxxps://www.sportsyou.com redirecting there. Worst case scenario it does 5 redirects now if a user goes to hxxp://sportsyou.com to wind up at hxxps://app.sportsyou.com. Could all the redirects somehow make Avast think the sub-domain is bad? We could probably clean that up a bit, but we aren't sure if this is what's going on. We are guessing because we really have now idea why Avast is doing this. Also we are thinking of adding some additional security headers to see if this makes Avast happy.

Other weird thing is it worked all day yesterday after we launched that new sub-domain and only started choking this morning when some people updated Avast to 15.0. We also have lots of other subdomains with similar behavior that Avast seems fine with. It's really confusing...

Any additional ideas would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:46:17 PM by DanDubinsky »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 11:59:51 PM »
Hi Dan Dubinsky,

There is a (sub-)domain connectivity problem, says a Zonemaster scan.
Wait for a final verdict from avast team.

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 01:46:52 AM »
@  DanDubinsky
Just a point, when posting links, don't make them active.
e.g.  Please 'modify' your post/s change the URL from http to hXXps, to break the link and avoid accidental exposure to suspect sites,  or better just post the domain name element, thanks.

Yes there is certainly a redirect on the main domain to app.sportsyou.com, why I have no idea, put as polonus said there is a (sub-)domain connectivity problem
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DanDubinsky

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
Interesting that zonemaster can't find the subdomain. I'll have to look into that.We're thinking we might have to back that subdomain out. It's causing other issues also, besides Avast.

I changed the links to hxxp as requested. Sorry about that. The site is legit though. When virus checkers don't block it, it's a free product that allows coaches, players and parents to communicate on youth sports teams ( sorry in advance for the shameless plug  :) ).

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 05:24:21 PM »
No problem, it is just to prevent the (non-technical) inquisitive accidentally clicking the link and getting a shock.  I may also be picked up by search bots also.