Author Topic: How do I set up Avast to scan with a scheduled task?  (Read 5225 times)

grcguy

How do I set up Avast to scan with a scheduled task?
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:00:36 AM »
Hello,

I have set up Avast to scan my computer through the Windows task scheduler. I am just wondering where I find out if the Avast scan is up to date and if not, how I ensure that it is. My settings for the task are through: "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C:, so I know its scanning my "C" drive, but do I have to set anything within AVAST so that it scans everything, and its up to date? Will it scan whatever I put into the scan when I do it manually?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I set up Avast to scan with a scheduled task?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 02:10:34 AM »
I don't know what you mean by, "and its up to date" ashquick.exe runs a scan based on the avast signatures which are automatically updated or if you have changed that then you need to ensure it is up to date.

The ashquick.exe doesn't have settings like an on-demand scan it is the most thorough of the avast scans as it scans everything.

Check this for more information on this work around - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:55:46 AM »
You can check the vps version and date on the about avast page. Right click the "a" icon and select about avast. Or you can do a manual update of the vps before the scheduled scan is set to run. As DavidR pointed out, if you haven't changed the settings for the updates, you should be as updated as posible automaticaly.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 08:19:41 AM »
Perhaps I am not reading the questions the same way as your other respondents.

I do run my weekly scan from "Scheduled tasks"

On my system here is the "Run" box:

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: E: F: J: K: L: M: N:

And here is the "Start in" box:

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4"

You should adjust for the configuration of your system.

David posts the same warning frequently about the problems of scanning this way.  Respect him enormously though I do I think this warning should be considered as one to be very careful about the paths excluded rather a warning again using this method.  There is a an exclusion list you can set up that will allow you to exclude the paths you do not want scanned every week.  I have been using that exclusion list since I started using avast and I have yet to have the weekly scan find a virus (that I did not deliberately place on my system)or to have the "on access" scanner find a virus missed by the "on demand" scanner.  To be honest avast could not find a virus in most of the the paths I exclude if the very future of avast depended on it (like my very large Thunderbird archives). 

This list is entirely, completely and utterly separate from the exclusion list used by the "on access" scanner of avast so if you did access it (outside of your weekly scan) then the "on access" scanner will catch it.     
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:16:52 AM by alanrf »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
Thanks Alan,
I will have to reword the text as it isn't really to totally avoid its use but as you said to ensure careful use of exclusions.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:12:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

grcguy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
I don't know what you mean by, "and its up to date" ashquick.exe runs a scan based on the avast signatures which are automatically updated or if you have changed that then you need to ensure it is up to date.

The ashquick.exe doesn't have settings like an on-demand scan it is the most thorough of the avast scans as it scans everything.

Check this for more information on this work around - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

DavidR:

I really did not ask my question properly or clearly, but you answered it anyway. What I wanted to know was if ashquick.exe automatically gave me the most up to date scan, and I understand from your answer that it does, and I am not too concerned by how long it takes, as long as I am well protected.

Thanks to you all for replying so quickly. I have been very impressed with AVAST so far, and the forum helps me to learn.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:53:17 AM »
Your welcome.