Author Topic: avast 4 Home blocks Internet connection  (Read 2316 times)

RLOTT

avast 4 Home blocks Internet connection
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:32:31 AM »
I just downloaded avast 4 Home edition on my laptop yesterday & since have not been able to connect to the Internet.  Why is this!?  I think I may have downloaded the wrong version of avast 4 Home Ed. because I saw some screen (I can't seem to find it again) that said I might have downloaded avast 4 for Windows XP instead of Vista, which is my operating system.  I tried everything I could think of to remedy the situation --- I tried restoring my computer to how it was before I installed avast4; I tried manually erasing any avast program files that were installed yesterday; I tried uninstalling avast 4 by going to the control panel & clicking Uninstall/Change, but an error message keeps appearing that says: RunDLL  "The specified module could not be found." What does RunDLL mean?? Also, there is a mail scanner warning that pops up that says "avast will not be able to protect outgoing mail(SMTP protocol)."  I'm a college student who relies tremedously on his laptop for academic success, but WHAT DO i DO NOW!!????

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: avast 4 Home blocks Internet connection
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:32:23 AM »
It could have been simply a matter of avast webshield (ashwebsv.exe) not having access through your firewall.

If you deleted the files and folders before using add and remove, then the uninstall most likely will fail. If this is the case, then reinstall the same version, then uninstall via add/remove. Run the uninstall tool. Make sure that the path c:/programfiles/alwil software is in the box. That's the default location of the folder, if yours is different, just make sure the path leads to the alwil software folder.

Both can be downloaded here

http://avast.com/eng/programs.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast 4 Home blocks Internet connection
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 01:12:01 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This could be the reason why it says it can't protect your email as to do so might conflict with another AV or application that also checks your email (some firewalls).

In relation to the rundll error, what is the specified module it is talking about ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security