Author Topic: Avast incorrectly blocking my websites for URL phishing and favicon.ico  (Read 3814 times)

Offline roxiistar

I have 3 WordPress websites that within the last week have all been blocked by Avast AVG.
I have checked them with multiple online scans (securi, pcrisk and virustotal) and they are all clean.
I've manually inspected recently updated files in the file system, and it doesn't appear that anything is wrong.
I've submitted a False Positive report and not heard back.

The domains are wiseflowerwellness.com, wiseflowermedia.com and wiseflower.org. 

What gives? The only connection between these three sites is that they are hosted on Namecheap (the first two domains are add-on domains of wiseflower.org), so they all share a host file system.

I can't figure out why they are being blocked and hope Avast is quick with their review as it could be costing me clients. Any thoughts? And how long does it typically take Avast to respond?

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast incorrectly blocking my websites for URL phishing and favicon.ico
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 08:59:55 AM »
You can report a suspected FP (File/Website) here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline roxiistar

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 12:51:10 AM »
Thanks, I actually did report it using that form last week. I submitted one for each website. I still have not received any acknowledgment or email reply from Avast, but just checked my websites and they are now loading again. So Avast must have done something, but I don't know what or why they were blocking me to begin with. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
Hi roxiistar

Security-wise your site has a couple of issues, but is not  being blacklisted.
it could have been abuse on -mailmunch.co

https://securityscan.getastra.com/security-audit?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwiseflowerwellness.com#results

One important issue with the configuaration of your Word Press CMS was found:
Directory Indexing
In the test an attempt was made to list the directory contents of the uploads and plugins folders to determine if Directory Indexing is enabled. This is a common information leakage vulnerability that can reveal sensitive information regarding your site configuration or content.

Path Tested   Status
/wp-content/uploads/      enabled
/wp-content/plugins/      disabled
Directory indexing is tested on the /wp-content/uploads/ and /wp-content/plugins/ directores. Note that other directories may have this web server feature enabled, so ensure you check other folders in your installation. It is good practice to ensure directory indexing is disabled for your full WordPress installation either through the web server configuration or .htaccess.

Set this setting to disabled and your good to go,

Have a nice day,

polonus (volunteer 3rd party cold reconnaissance website security analyst and website errror-hunter)
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
Just checked them and none are blocked by Avast on my system, see attached image of one connection.

That said two of them (not the one in my attached image load slowly, wiseflowermedia.com loading slowest of all.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security