Author Topic: Will it be possible to use Windows Firewall with Free Antivirus?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline InvisibleMan

I heard that Avast is adding Firewall into the Free Antivirus soon for everyone.

And I did read a few topics about it disabling the Windows Firewall forcefully in the non-free versions.

Will it be possible to disable or remove that component, and keep the Windows Firewall doing all the job?
On Avast Free Antivirus, I mean.

I already have an established system of firewall rules and backups for a series of computers,
and I need to be able to continue using the standard Windows Firewall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Will it be possible to use Windows Firewall with Free Antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 10:57:52 PM »
I think it is still a bit early for speculation on configuration. 

Since this is about the existing Avast Free version (it currently isn't available), I haven't even seen it a beta testing version yet.

That said, I believe there will be no requirement for you to use the Avast Firewall (as a component) if the current custom installation is available.  If it is related to current configurations they can be customised.  Not to mention you can switch Avast Free into Passive mode, so I wonder if the same would be the case for the Firewall element as and when it is available, after all many may well be using 3rd party Firewalls.

The new Avast product, Avast One (Essential), the free version has a Firewall component I don't think has the same configurability as Avast Free.  I think more for those who wouldn't do much tinkering, they just want the AV to protect them without having to tweak it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 12:01:38 AM »
I think more for those who wouldn't do much tinkering, they just want the AV to protect them without having to tweak it.
Yeah, seems like Avast One is the same as Avira is nowadays, and that's why I know people who moved from Avira to Avast Free Antivirus.
Configurability, being able to control what should be running or not, has always been the biggest advantage of Avast Antivirus over their competitors.

I do understand that Avast One would appeal to those who don't want to think or tinker and simply be protected (honestly, crowds in general these day would gladly allow themselves to be controlled by anyone, trading bits of their freedom just to feel safe, as once the great George Carlin said.)

But I really hope that Avast Free (or Paid) Antivirus, the one that can be configured better, will be still available for those who prefer that. Otherwise that part of userbase would simply move on to another alternatives in the future.

There's no reason to kill other products, after Avast One is out, right?

And it would let Avast keep all their userbase as big as possible, and not lose some to their competitors.

Alternatively, they could at least keep those settings as secret ones, as I found out recently about "geek:area" or "about:config" way to access advanced settings.
If those would be available in Avast One, still letting to configure it better for advanced users, it would be great!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:22:38 AM by videosfromsites »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 01:31:34 AM »
It has been stated that the existing Avast AV products will remain after Avast One (free or paid) as it is a different product.

It really isn't good to speculate but in the short/medium term existing products will still be available.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »
Will it be possible to disable or remove that component, and keep the Windows Firewall doing all the job?
Hi, in short, yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »
Hi, in short, yes.
Great! Thank you for replying!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0