Author Topic: Controlled Folder Access  (Read 1749 times)

Offline dwharper34

Controlled Folder Access
« on: October 20, 2021, 09:36:02 PM »
I am on my computer and signed in as admin. I am the only user. I am trying to change game and cache folders in Origin which is on drive F:. When I try to change "Legacy game installers", I get the error: "Origin is not able to save games here because the folder is read-only. Please choose another folder." When I use Windows Explorer to go to those folders, I am unable to remove the read only from these folders, as it just pops back.

I read the solution on EA Answers HQ and it said to open "Windows Defender Security Center", select "Virus & threat protection", and then choose "Virus & threat protection settings". "Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off."

I am unable to open "Under Controlled folder access". I get an error message: "Page not available. Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more information.". When I open "Windows Defender Security Center", I see the message "Avast Antivirus  Avast Antivirus is turned on". So, I am assuming this must be the IT administrator they are referring to. 

If Avast is controlling "Under Controlled folder access", how do I access it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Controlled Folder Access
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:13:13 AM »
-> https://support.avast.com/article/50/ (Ransomware Shield - FAQ)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline dwharper34

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »
I am already using this. Origin is on the allowed list.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:27:12 PM »
I am already using this. Origin is on the allowed list.

Whilst I don't use the Ransomware Shield, there may be another way to resolve this.

Is that folder (which you don't mention) included in the Ransomware Shield list of protected folders  ?

If so you could try removing the Ransomware Shield for that folder/s.
Or try manually creating a different folder (using windows explorer, not Origin) then you may be able to have Origin use this folder
for these and ensure that the Ransomware Shield doesn't include that folder in its protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline dwharper34

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 10:47:32 PM »
I removed Ransomware protection from Allowed apps and all folders on the F: drive. I rebooted when done. I tried creating my own folders and they were read only. I checked all my drives and they are all read only too. So maybe this a system issue. How would I fix that?

Offline dwharper34

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 11:33:13 PM »
I solved the problem! I right-clicked on the folder F:\Origin and selected properties, then clicked the "Security" tab and then Edit. I changed everything to Full Control. I then clicked on Add and typed Everyone, selected Check Names and clicked OK. I then allowed Full Control, clicked Apply and OK. I opened Origin and was able to change the "Legacy game installers" to the correct drive. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:38:26 PM by dwharper34 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 01:17:56 AM »
Good to hear that you now have it resolved.

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback and resolution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security