Author Topic: Uninstalling AVG Before Installing Avast  (Read 10887 times)

pixturesk

Uninstalling AVG Before Installing Avast
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »
I am an Avast newbie, not of the computer generation. Shall I uninstall AVG before installing Avast or install Avast, set it up, then uninstall AVG to continuously maintain protection? Thanks.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Uninstalling AVG Before Installing Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 02:01:18 PM »
Uninstall avg first. no conflicts that way. disconnect from the internet also.

Welcome to the forum.

pixturesk

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 03:24:38 AM »
Thanks Oldman. Shall I disconnect from the internet even though I also am running Sygate (5.5 2710)? If so, I'll just turn the power off to my cable modem. Interesting we almost have the same computer specs, 600, 256 megs, Win98SE, Firefox is my default browser, IE6 SP1, OE6. I guess you're as happy as I am continuing to run Win98SE.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:18:37 AM »
Powering off the modem is fine. I only suggested that, because there is that brief time before avast finishes installing that you might be vulnerable. Even with sygate set to block all, it may not start before a connection is made.

Yes very similar sytems. 98se serves my purpose very well. But it's days may be numbered as more and more security programs are dropping it. Avast, though is not one of those.  ;D  8) BTW this box does run xp pro very well.

pixturesk

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
I have an OEM of XP Pro as well, will use it if using 98SE becomes problematic. Like you, 98SE suits me well, can run all the major software I want (Open Office, the Gimp, Firefox). Also the hackers think we are irrelevant, seem to ignore us more. Once I switch to Avast, I will also continue to use AdAware, Spyware Blaster, CCleaner, Hijack This, RegSeeker, Sygate (5.5 2710). There is also an excellent Google Win98, 98SE group (microsoft.public.win98) which I often check out, especially if I have a problem.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »
You may want to add superantispyware  http://www.superantispyware.com/  The free version is non resident (on demand) The paid version has a trial period and I believe it reverts to the free version afterwards.

There is a newer version of sygate ( I know it's unsupported) can't recall the exact number, but it doesn't work to well on 98se or me. So if you are going to continue using sygate, keep the version you have now.

you will have to set the proxy for webshield manually

http://avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Also the hackers think we are irrelevant, seem to ignore us more.
If you have an OEM of XP Pro and your computer has enough power to run it, I see no reason to keep Windows 98. Not only because of vulnerabilities - XP is very much patched and updated - but also because a lot of softwares are only available for XP/Vista and not more for Windows 98. Even avast does not have some features in Windows 98 (like boot time scanning).
The best things in life are free.

pixturesk

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 11:05:50 PM »
Thanks Oldman. The most recent free version of Sygate is 5.6 2808, but Sygate suggests that it is not suitable for 98SE, the version I am using 5.5 2710 is what Sygate suggests to use for 98SE. Since I am not of the computer generation, the instructions for manually setting the proxy for Webshield are quite confusing for me, so I am now hesitating as to whether to install Avast at this time. AVG is working so well, very easy for me to use, so I am not in any hurry, I wan't to think about it some more.

pixturesk

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »
Thanks Tech. I am not of the computer generation so I have become very comfortable with 98SE. My computer can run XP Pro, I have it in case I require it. Most of the software I want runs very well on 98SE + new 98SE freeware continues to appear on most of the freeware sites. As well, AVG has real boot time scanning for 98SE, which is another reason I will continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »
Actually setting the proxy is very easy.

In ie click tools, internet options, connection tab, lan settings button, check use proxy in the proxy server section, advanced button, in the http line type 127.0.0.1 in the server and 12080 in the port. OK your way out.

Good luck no matter what your decision is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »
The instructions for manually setting the proxy for Webshield are quite confusing for me, so I am now hesitating as to whether to install Avast at this time.
There are tutorial videos available to show how to set it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 02:06:04 AM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pixturesk

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 03:54:28 AM »
Oldman, Tech. I took the plunge. Took AVG off my computer. The installation of Avast went smoothly, registration easy, email configuration easy, updates, both program + virus database perfectly. Just a couple of questions. Is there no quick scan at computer bootup as with AVG? Also, I set the VRDB to run when the computer is idle, is this correct? While I am writing this, I am running my first "C" drive scan (with 3 viruses so far). Also, will there be a confirmation message in the email that Avast has run a check, that the email is OK? Thanks guys for all your help. Avast works, looks great!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 04:02:25 AM »
Is there no quick scan at computer bootup as with AVG?
It's only available on Windows 2k, XP and Vista.

Also, I set the VRDB to run when the computer is idle, is this correct?
Ok, you can choose this or screen saver time.

Also, will there be a confirmation message in the email that Avast has run a check, that the email is OK?
Right click the 'a' blue icon, choose Details button.
At left, click Internet Mail provider (or Outlook plugin) and then click Customize at right.
Browse the settings and set avast to add notes to clean emails.

pixturesk

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 04:31:34 AM »
Tech. When I right click the "a" icon button, there is no "details" button. Also, when I want to start Avast, I get the small splash screen which performs a memory/startup test, then I get a larger help/simple user interface screen with five sections on it. When I click the box saying not to show this window again, I get an IE Script Error message asking me if I want to continue running scripts. How can I prevent this window + error message from coming up each time? Thanks.