Author Topic: how to disable the boot scan?  (Read 4374 times)

TenaciousG

how to disable the boot scan?
« on: September 27, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »
Hey, every time i restart avast starts scanning my computer.  It wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that i can't bypass it by hitting escape like it tells me to. How do i disable this startup scan?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: how to disable the boot scan?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »
Are you saying that the boot-time scan starts, finishes successfully - and on the next reboot it starts again, without having been re-scheduled?

aprac00

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:13:09 AM »
I think I had a similar problem by last week. I was not able to escape avast scheduled boot-time scanning page and it was not scanning in the first place, there was a malfunction.

I rebooted my pc manually, chose to start with "Last known Good Configuration" instead of "Start Windows Normally", booted to windows and reinstalled avast. Not sure though if there is another way to "disable boot-time scan" but that was my only choice. 

Make sure you download avast setup and the lastest update manually from avast.com before deciding to uninstall and that you are disconnected from the internet while uninstalling.

TenaciousG

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:38 AM »
Are you saying that the boot-time scan starts, finishes successfully - and on the next reboot it starts again, without having been re-scheduled?

yes that's what i'm saying.

and to the second poster i will try that, thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
yes that's what i'm saying.
How to disable scan at boot?
Could you please start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, select the value BootExecute and export it to a file? If you could post the file as an attachment here, I would like to check what could be wrong there.

In XP, if you press F8 when starting Windows and select 'Last known good configuration' from the boot menu, the boot scan should not be started.
The best things in life are free.

TenaciousG

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
well it was too big to attach to a post, so i uploaded it to megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KA3CXDQ8

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
You can upload it to our FTP server - ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
(There are no read/list rights there, so you won't see anything - but you can upload the file there.)
Thanks.