Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Avast! 4.7  (Read 17854 times)

jasonago

Pros and Cons of Avast! 4.7
« on: September 29, 2007, 05:30:26 PM »
Hello Guys!

First of all I am an Avira user. If ever I will have a money, I'll buy Kaspersky. And if my Avira fails and I have no money, then Avast! will be my last resort...

So why is that so? Simply because for me Avast is still lacking some must haves for an anti-malware...

The CONS firsts....

1. No Process Protection
I think Avast! should start protecting their own processes from malware kill attacks...It should also protect its files, configs, and registry entries for possible deletions/modifications

2. Virus Detection cant keep up with current malware trends
It all boils down to faster updates and better/smarter heuristic scanners for polymorphic viruses. In AV-Comparatives roundup, Avast! always fall short in the polymorphic testing...

3. Problem with Program Interface
Although novice users may like your current program interface, It still lacks the ability to specify specific file extension to scan, a progress bar that tells percent of files scanned, and the unconnectedness of Avast's program windows all contributes to a low usability score of the program...

BUT I still like Avast and I wish that someday I will be confident enough to make it as my primary antivirus. Right now, I really like the following features of Avast!

1. Boot-time scan
One of the best! While other antivirus succumbs to the "Safe mode" technique of cleaning malwares, still some malwares like variants of brontok and Worm.VB (am I ryt?) can load even in safemode...So still the boot scan is the best solution!

2. Web Shield and the other resident evils!
This is not new for some anti-malwares around BUT what makes it a plus point for me is that Avast offers it even in Home edition which is free...

3. Skins!
Avast is the only antivirus that put a little fun in their program so that users may not feel very terrified when they use their antivirus. Just solve the usability probs in the interface and the skins will go better...

4. A virus has been detected!
Oh God it was fun to hear that! I feel that my antivirus is really emphatic to tell me that "hey I have protected you from a virus, fear no more!"

Suggestions

I hope in the future, Avast will be able to put process protection in their own files. Also virus detection should be more vigilant and updates to vps will be faster and more reliable. I hope a reliable firewall will also be included among the resident evils...

As of now, I am using only the Web shield, P2P shield, and the Mail scanners of the Avast! For the virus detection, I still use Avira...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Pros and Cons of Avast! 4.7
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 05:40:40 PM »
1. No Process Protection
I think Avast! should start protecting their own processes from malware kill attacks...It should also protect its files, configs, and registry entries for possible deletions/modifications
It will appear on version 5. Right now, repairing avast installation brings back the original (clean) files/registry keys.

2. Virus Detection cant keep up with current malware trends
It all boils down to faster updates and better/smarter heuristic scanners for polymorphic viruses. In AV-Comparatives roundup, Avast! always fall short in the polymorphic testing...
Detection is improving very fast here. There is a new submission process being baked. Also, generic signatures for polymorphic viruses is being added each week.

3. Problem with Program Interface
Although novice users may like your current program interface, It still lacks the ability to specify specific file extension to scan
Which scan: on-demand? on-access?

a progress bar that tells percent of files scanned
Other people asked this in the wishlist thread.

and the unconnectedness of Avast's program windows
Can't understand you... ???

I hope a reliable firewall will also be included among the resident evils...
It will be a standalone product, could have an integrated GUI but also a standalone one.
It's being built by Alwil team (yet).

As of now, I am using only the Web shield, P2P shield, and the Mail scanners of the Avast! For the virus detection, I still use Avira...
Hmmm... I really do NOT recommend this situation. Low level drivers in conflict... problems with avast will be on their way if you have both in the same computer (specially with XP).
The best things in life are free.

jasonago

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
Hello what a fast reply!

Uhm, Avast! and Avira doesn't conflict each other especially if Standard Shield is turned off...I think this is because the Avira doesnt scan web traffic so i think it should be fine...

BUT I do not run the Avira Guard modules and Acast's Standard shield at the same time...My pc might get stucked...Although I already tried it with no problems, still I don't run it at the same time...

I am really hoping that Avast! can soon be fast in their vps updates and that their virus detection routines will be better...I really liked the program...It functions like kaspersky but is lighter...

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »
Considering Avira is not free ($33) maybe an unfair comparison.  8)

For this reason alone I can see why you would still be interested in Avast as well.  ;) ... expecially when considering annual license renewal costs.  :'(

On top of that to get support you must upgrade to an even higher level service they call either "gold" or "platinum" depending upon the level of service and in order to get "UNLIMITED" support you must purchase the "platinum" package.

As I said not quite a fair comparison.  :o

Beyond that some of the product web links still use German words even when using "English" language option.  Not that I have anything against the German language being German myself it's just that I don't read German.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »
Hello what a fast reply!
Be used to avast forum speed 8)

Uhm, Avast! and Avira doesn't conflict each other especially if Standard Shield is turned off...I think this is because the Avira doesnt scan web traffic so i think it should be fine...
I've tested the very first releases of Avira version 10 and I cannot manage it... sooner or later: conflict, emails being lost or not scanned at all... two antivirus fighting to the 'possession' of the scanned object.

jasonago

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Oh I forgot to tell that I am comparing Avast! Home edition and Avira PersonalEdition Classic (free)...

Avast is really more featureful...being able to offer web shield and mail scanner for free is I think a few hundred dollars in Avira...

I really wished that avast! will soon have a better detection rates...Until now, for atleaast 1 week, TR/Autoit.AX.1 is still undetected by avast engine...avira among others already detects it...and there still a lot of malwares undetected...

mojako_2you

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
what a hot topic....
I just want to tell that avast still bad in virus, spyware and malware detection...
Hmm maybe they should improve the support for us to sent virus...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
I just want to tell that avast still bad in virus, spyware and malware detection...
Hmmm... generic assumptions... what is bad?
Can you name a perfect software with perfect detection?
We saw a lot of times Symantec, BitDefender, McAfee, Kaspersky... and others missing some samples.
It could be better, undoubtedly. But, bad it's not for sure.

jasonago

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »
uhm yes I agree...BAD is not the word...

Avast will improve in time...I still trust avast more than AVG...although I didn't tried avg yet...haha...

In the previous av-comparatives, avast played better in heuristic scanning compared to avg...and avast has fewer false positives over the others...

But still, avast needs improvements...I think the engine is good and fast...the only aspect avast failed is the response time to new threats and the ability to respond and update its VPS...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »
The only aspect avast failed is the response time to new threats and the ability to respond and update its VPS...
Things are changing...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30715.msg254264#msg254264

mojako_2you

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »
wawawawa.... I also agree Avast are the most better than AVg....
All peoplethat have an exprience using both Avg and avast can know the comparison...
I mean is Avast still not the better choise to buy as there are many antivirus with are more faster and good in detection like kaspersky with are not to different at price..

MeDIeVaL

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »
Bad...? It's not really a good word to pointing at avast! I've used avast! almost 2 years now and what can I say, they've improved much² better e'day. I've used Norton and AntiVir before which I know can't protect me like avast! do except if you willing to pay for the annual licence but still with the minimum protection. It's not really affordable here in Malaysia, cause for home user at least I need to pay more than RM300. Why should I pay for that amount of money if they can't deliver to me the maximum protection. You won't agreed avast! Team work to slow if you think 'bout this, there's more than hundred or maybe thousand new virus create every week plus the new variants of current virus. So s'time it's normal for security lab can't catchup with the trends. Even Norton can't detect Brontok after couple of week avast! got it in their vps. And worst, I need to reboot e'time I launched the program. Norman makes my pc hang for couple of hour and AntiVir do nuthin' at all. End up, I've installed avast! in every computer under my possession at my workplace. Go to hell will Norton even my companies pay for the licences. And nowadays, I can work with peace of mind cause I can rely on avast! except s'time for lowest risk virus which avast! delayed their update caused they're working with highest risk virus but it doesn't give me too much problems as I can rely on their greatest support forum.

jasonago

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 04:06:05 PM »
Uhm detection rates of Avira is reallu top of the rank but detection rates is not all...

When my classmates here in the Philippines are asking me what antivirus to use, I simply recommend Avira but told them that if they don't like avira, then they could use Avast...

Just dont use AVG or McAfee...

Another thing, when people bring their infected laptops to me for repair, I install first Avast! then do a boot time scan...In this way, all "Strong" viruses will be quarantined...Then on next startup, I'll let Avira do the total cleaning...

The problem with Avira is that it can't fully clean a system infected with Memory Resident malwares...Even on Safe Mode, some malwares still can run and Avira can't solve this...I think Avast! is the only antivirus that can do boot time scan and this is really really handy for people who want to get those viruses off their PC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »
Uhm detection rates of Avira is reallu top of the rank but detection rates is not all...
I was a fan of Avira until they make impossible to use their antivirus as a second, non-resident antivirus, adding services, startup items, etc. Nowadays you need Registry changes and services disabling to use Avira this way.

gdiloren

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »
I switched to AVIRA PE Classic (free AV edition) on XP Pro but decided to put AVAST HOME 4.7 on my new VISTA HOME PREMIUM machine with Comodo 3 beta on it. It's a question of compatibility. Also the slightly better detection you get in AVIRA is not necessary if you don't surf dangerously...! Also, I don't like the POP-UPS BANNERS in AVIRA every time you get to update. Also updates in AVIRA are a real p*** in the a** (just go on their appropriate forum). And finally, their forum is less userfriendly and just plain less friendly and open. That's my opinion! Go AVAST...!!! 8)