Author Topic: Avast Browser Memory issues  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Flagringo

Avast Browser Memory issues
« on: October 13, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »
I have several up to date browsers on my 64 bit PC with Win 10.  I noticed Avast browser takes up a TON  of memory;  I switched to my Edge browser, which takes up less memory and Avast is still tying up tons of memory and refuses to disappear after I use task manager to "end task".  Outside of rebooting the PC (I assume) I can't disable Avast from tying of TONS of memory WITHOUT being used.

Please advise best course of action, otherwise will likely just uninstall

Also, please refer this to moderation team, the capcha is problematic ; in one case the letter is NOT EVEN VISIBLE !!! either a "i" or "r" in lower case; I put in the correct letters in all caps (when it occurs) and it does not agree.  <buggy and needs immediate attention imo> .  I enter the characters perfectly 4 times (take into consideration it is impossible TO SEE some letters!) and it refuses the entry 3 out of the 4.  Same in the editing mode. 

Also, when editing this post a few minutes later, I get ANOTHER CAPTCHA !  ummm....the forum cookie should override this and never issue another challenge, unless the cookie is not agreeing with the current session.  Needless and really pissing me off. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:54:31 PM by Flagringo »

Offline Flagringo

Re: Avast Browser Memory issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 06:42:25 PM »
Upon testing, Explorer uses a net 100 MB LESS memory than the Avast browser with the SAME windows open upon startup. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 07:58:38 PM »
Captcha is there for your first 3 posts, an anti-spam measure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Flagringo

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:53 PM »
Covering up the lower case letters and preventing the "user" to sign in is also SOP.... #fail .... "competence is thinly spread" 

Offline Flagringo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 02:03:59 PM »
RE: EXCESSIVE BATTERY DRAIN SINCE INSTALLING AVAST ANTI VIRUS

Used to get 6 hours on my 2 month old 11-Gen laptop with brightness on high;  Now getting 5 hours per charge with the brightness reduced several notches. The only change is I had installed the Avast Anti Virus and Browser.  Will be uninstalling all  Avast products  soon I assume.  I don't want to cuz I like Avast but they do have "issues" in the past and I've had to uninstall their browser and their anti virus a few years ago because they don't do their homework but charge top $.

Offline Flagringo

......After uninstalling Avast Anti-virus (30 day trial) the previous day;  I compared battery usage today with the previous day. 

Here are the statistics:

3.6 hours of battery life to 10% available using Avast s/w
5.5 hours of battery life to 10% available NOT using Avast s/w (installed a trial version of AVG)

I do like Avast over the years but have had to uninstall their browser a few years ago because they had messed up a good thing after a couple years, same with their anti-virus, an instance where something bad got past Avast and Malwarebytes had to "clean up" the mess.

Tried Avast Browser (which I do like having the Chrome engine on the pc but don't want the spying) and the Antivirus and DEFINITELY can't keep the anti-virus on anything I own 'cuz BATTERY LIFE IS KING to me. 

C ya!