Author Topic: New Packers  (Read 7324 times)

Cutie Mark Surprise

New Packers
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:06:18 PM »
Can Avast handle these packers: 7z, ZIP, RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, CHM, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB or can it not? Just curious.

mouniernetwork

Re: New Packers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:22:08 PM »
Hello,

A forum is a place where you ask questions to which you did not find the answer while searching. Specily in this case case where the answer happens to be in the first few lines of the product description  :o

Al968

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »
avast has some of the best support for packers of any AV it supports most of the common packers, don't know about these, CPIO, RPM and DEB.

I though CHM was a help file, I find that is Compiled HTML, which many help files use to display, so I don't know if that would come under the category of packers in the same way as mht keeps al data and images together in one archived html file.
http://computing-dictionary.tfd.com/Compiled%20HTML
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cutie Mark Surprise

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »
Thank you for your input. Should I add support for CPIO, RPM and DEB to the wishlist? I was just curious.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
First we need to identify if they are supported just that I another avast user don't know if they are supported.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Here are the (un)packers supported by avast!; the bold ones are supported in the boot-time scanner as well:

7-ZIP
ACE
ARC
ARJ
BZIP
CAB
CPIO
DBX (Outlook Express DB)
DosExec (multiple)
GZIP
CHM
Installer (multiple)
ISO
LHARC
MAPI (Outlook DB)
MIME
OLE
RAR
RPM
SIS
NTFS Streams
TAR
TNEF Streams
WinExec (many)
ZIP
ZOO

Maybe someone else at the last built, I'm not sure...
I suppose DEB is from Debian (Linux package)... not sure it's supported on Windows.
The best things in life are free.

sanctuary24

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:12:57 PM »
Sorry to but-in on the topic but when I did a standard scan on my computer I noticed it said that a lot of my Steam game files were registered as corrupt but is that due to Avast not supporting Bzip2 archivers and thats why it thinks they are corrupt?

If anyone who has these games can verify this for me I would be greatful
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 09:34:11 PM by sanctuary24 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »
Sorry to but-in on the topic but when I did a standard scan on my computer I noticed it said that a lot of my Steam game files were registered as corrupt but is that due to Avast not supporting Bzip2 archivers and thats why it thinks they are corrupt?
Most probably. Missing unpackers are the reason for avast to shown the files as being 'corrupt'.

sanctuary24

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »
Does anyone here or from the Avast team know if they will be implementing these missing unpackers in future updates, as it would remove these worrying listings at the end of scans, thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:44 AM »

BZIP2 format is supported; so, if avast! reports corrupted BZIP archives, I'd say either they really are corrupted, or they are some custom modifications of BZIP format. But of course, I can't say anything for 100% sure without seeing the real files.

Regarding the other formats... well, CPIO and RPM support may not be complete, and DEB is not present. If they'll be added, however, I don't know; I'd leave this for our Linux guys (to say what importance they think this should  have).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »
I'd leave this for our Linux guys (to say what importance they think this should  have).
Well, debian files are one of the most common setup files for Linux...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:35:17 AM »
I'm not saying they aren't - but I think the question is: how much malware can you expect in that format?
(which I have no idea)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 02:42:48 AM »
(which I have no idea)
Neither do I. Maybe Dublin can drop a word here...

sanctuary24

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »
Does anyone who uses Valve games have these results or are mine really corrupt?

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:43 AM »
erm , Steam container GameCacheFile .gcf isn't definitely normal bzip2

GCF format 'documentation/info' http://www.wunderboy.org/docs/gcfformat.php
to view use e.g. GCFscape http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=25
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Gcf
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:11:50 AM by Dwarden »
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive