Author Topic: xp sales extended  (Read 6724 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you

mouniernetwork

Re: xp sales extended
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »
Already anounced  ;D
Thanks

Al968

justin1278

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »
Looks like Vista is having some issues being adopted. Maybe if MS could fix some compatibility this wouldn't be an issue.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
Another interesting article:

Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.htm
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

justin1278

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »
Another interesting article:

Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785337-7.htm

Yes I read that the other day and it is a very interesting read. But I don't think Microsoft will need to "abandon" Vista, with each new OS release there are issues, there were with XP and and there are with Vista, and there will be with Vienna. It takes a while to release the updates to fix the issues, but in time I am sure that Vista will get the issues fixed and when that happens it will be a great OS.

drhayden1

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »
also saw the article and hope vista will improve with age just like it did for xp

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:36:58 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 07:39:45 PM »
I don't think Microsoft will need to "abandon" Vista, with each new OS release there are issues, there were with XP and and there are with Vista, and there will be with Vienna.
Feel the same... specially because I'm biased right now. I'm a Vista user and want it better and not dropped.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 08:19:52 PM »
I fear that by the time they get Vista almost right it will be about the time they are Releasing the Vista replacement, much as what happened with XP. Here we are with a nature, relatively stable OS, which even with some of its faults can run on most systems and has drivers for most peripherals.

There is most certainly a lot of work to do on vista, even including some of the features that were slated for Vista like the new file system which got dropped, will it ever be included ???

The version after Vista is meant to being built from the ground up and no backwards compatibility with previous versions, something which has plagued many OS releases. Because of the no backwards compatibility MS though this would only take 18 months, I think not certainly if their time scales are anything like with previous releases (especially Vista).

If that were to happen in 18 months then I feel many would skip Vista completely and that is something I'm seriously considering as XP Pro will be supported for some time yet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 10:42:35 PM »
What I don't understand is why MS will have to drop compatibility for Vienna, it is possible to build a completely new OS and keep compatibility through emulation...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:48 AM »
I think it is probably to do with the trouble they have had in the past with native compatibility and I think more so with Vista. By dropping native backward compatibility the design process is simplified, design it, build it, otherwise the design process has many more steps to consider backward compatibility.

But, since I'm not in MS's decision making process I can't answer that question, I'm only repeating what I have read in newsletters, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 05:00:56 AM »
What I don't understand is why MS will have to drop compatibility for Vienna, it is possible to build a completely new OS and keep compatibility through emulation...

I hope Microsoft either builds in native support or offers so backwards compatibility. Emulation is a PAIN! When Apple Released OS X it was so different than OS 7, 8, 9 that they did not build in native compatibility, Instead they made the Classic Emulation Environment. Nothing ever worked quite right and some programs would not even load. 3rd party hardware such as printers, scanners and even thumb drives were almost unusable with the Emulated programs. So most people just kept using Mac OS 9 until their apps ran natively on OS X.

I think the same would happen with Vienna. So it would be simpler for MS to just include no compatibility and let people stay on XP/Vista until their apps are ported.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »
I think the same would happen with Vienna. So it would be simpler for MS to just include no compatibility and let people stay on XP/Vista until their apps are ported.

...and in the same time, a lot longer process. Porting all those applications would take forever... and it will.  :-\

Any news on release date of Leopard Kyle ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »

...and in the same time, a lot longer process. Porting all those applications would take forever... and it will.  :-\

Any news on release date of Leopard Kyle ?

It took about 2 years for everything to get running on OS X after its release so yes it does take a while. Windows has a vastly greater user base so it would be more problematic than it was for Apple's release but it has to happen sometime.

Leopard is coming any day this month
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 01:08:40 AM »
Leopard is coming any day this month
Then we should start counting spots instead of days.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

news

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »
Thanks oldman and SasH for the links and the information.
I had no idea sales were so low for Vista as described in the articles. 

I know Windows Me was their worst system to date. I was hoping Vista wouldn't fall in that trap as well.
I guess only time will tell.