Author Topic: Firewall : clicking on "I trust this network" doesn't work...  (Read 5353 times)

Offline vincent.pujol

Firewall : clicking on "I trust this network" doesn't work...
« on: October 31, 2021, 11:46:19 PM »
I everyone,
Been using AVAST free for a while and I've been satisfied with it.
I'm facing an new kind of issue and can't find what the problem is...I need help!

I have a synth working with an editor and the communication between the software and the hardware Korg synth is configured as a network card with windows (UsbNcm Host Device). This is required by Korg manual...Never seen that before.
The manual says to add a rule to the firewall to allow TCP on port 50000 and 50001 + UDP on port 5353 (Bonjour service) to avoid the firewall blocking some messages, but it's not working as expected.
Actually AVAST Firewall sees the "UsbNcm Host Device" as a new "untrusted" network and it blocks some of the network requests...I would like to make this network "trusted" but clicking on "I trust this network" immediately toggle back to "untrusted" without any information...
Is there a way to make this network "Trusted" like it usually works by clicking on "I trust this network"?
The fact is, the only way to use the software editor is to turn the firewall off...Very unsafe...
Thanks.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Firewall : clicking on "I trust this network" doesn't work...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline vincent.pujol

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
Hi,
I did the Repair, reboot the PC but still have the same problem when I click on "I trust this network"...Can't make this network "Trusted".
Any other idea?
Thanks.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 04:16:02 PM »
Hi,
I did the Repair, reboot the PC but still have the same problem when I click on "I trust this network"...Can't make this network "Trusted".
Any other idea?
Thanks.

Hi,

Can you please go to Protection> Firewall and then click on "UsbNcm Host Device" for more details and take a screenshot of it. Please reply with the screenshot and the support file ID.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file

Offline vincent.pujol

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 12:14:55 AM »
Hi,
I uploaded a video showing the problem with the Avast Support Tool. File ID is : GTO5X

Thanks.

Offline wahyushikifujin

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 12:36:59 AM »
why until now the firewall feature has not been open to all avast free users only a few have got it ?
 is it released stable at the end of this year the firewall feature because I read yesterday's posts only a small number of users who get it please answer r@vast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 01:14:38 AM »
why until now the firewall feature has not been open to all avast free users only a few have got it ?
<snip>

My guess would be it will be a phased release to monitor function and possible conflict with other programs on multiple OS platforms, etc. 

With 400million plus users, most of which are Avast Free users this really shouldn't be rushed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wahyushikifujin

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 01:49:38 AM »
Yes, I agree with your opinion but Avast should not say that at the end of October all users will get a firewall which users will always complain about because it is inconsistent between reality and words, it should be like this at the end of October, the firewall features will begin to be distributed gradually so users can be patient and understand

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »
Hi,
It can also be seen as advertising .... Once the announcement is made, it's hard not to wait(as for some game consoles  by ex), even if it's annoying, whether we understand or not won't change - in my opinion - anything in the future.
....only a few have got it
Still it would be necessary that those who benefited from it do not lose it after the program update as here

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
Hi there, related to FW in free: we are currently running some tests. There were issues that people were confused by public profile (unable to connect to local printers for example). We are trying to explain it on dashboard. And now we are measuring if this explanation is enough.

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
I everyone,
Been using AVAST free for a while and I've been satisfied with it.
I'm facing an new kind of issue and can't find what the problem is...I need help!

I have a synth working with an editor and the communication between the software and the hardware Korg synth is configured as a network card with windows (UsbNcm Host Device). This is required by Korg manual...Never seen that before.
The manual says to add a rule to the firewall to allow TCP on port 50000 and 50001 + UDP on port 5353 (Bonjour service) to avoid the firewall blocking some messages, but it's not working as expected.
Actually AVAST Firewall sees the "UsbNcm Host Device" as a new "untrusted" network and it blocks some of the network requests...I would like to make this network "trusted" but clicking on "I trust this network" immediately toggle back to "untrusted" without any information...
Is there a way to make this network "Trusted" like it usually works by clicking on "I trust this network"?
The fact is, the only way to use the software editor is to turn the firewall off...Very unsafe...
Thanks.

Hi Vincent, I have checked logs, but it looks they are not in debug. So I found no relevant info ;( Is it possible to turn on debug and provide: ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\log\AvastSvc.log + AvastUI.log + js_console.log. Copy them, pack them and send to petr.blatny@avast.com

But I have noticed that fw has been turn off and on several times (as you described), maybe FW was not started correctly. Is it possible to try: turn fw on, reboot computer, try to switch profile. Do you have more networks? If you have, can you check the switch for other networks?

Thank you + I'm sorry for that bug, it has to be really uncomfortable..
Petr

Offline vincent.pujol

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 12:57:24 AM »
Hello Petr,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I sent you an e-mail with the requested files and some network traces that may help you.
Right after using the Avast report tool which indicated my version wasn't the latest one, I upgrade to the latest version of AVAST, reboot the PC, try again, but it's always the same...
I have usually only one network for internet on my PC but when I switch one of the Korg synthesizers on, a new network appears (UsbNcm Host Device or UsbNcm Host Device #2).

Hope this helps to solve the bug.
Thanks
Vince

Offline pavelk

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »
Hi Vince,
thanks for your logs and configuration.
I know that some virtual adapters have the problem with setting private mode. It looks to a Windows problem.
I checked your settings and I found that you created application rule(for port 50000). But public profile packet rules are used and they have highter priority than application rules.
Could you create packet rule, please?
avastui.exe -> Firewall -> Settings -> Packet rules -> Add and then move it up(top rule).
Thanks
Pavel

Offline vincent.pujol

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 01:18:58 AM »
Hi Pavel,
Thanks a lot for the tip! You are right, I can run both editors at same time and they control each of the synthesizer correctly! So everything is working fine  :D
So even if the network is still "Untrusted", everything is working fine!
Thanks a lot for your time and help!