Author Topic: Windows 11 fails to load user profiles after clean install of Avast Premium  (Read 1201 times)

Offline CB_Hedricks

Repeatable issue: Yes
Platform: Desktop PC with 16g memory 500gb SSD as primary, 2tb Seagate HD, AMD 3d Gen Ryzen 5

Windows 11 update completed (overnight process) on unattended update.  On morning start up, system was unable to load user profiles, created and used "temp profile" and would not allow changes applied to registry and policy to allow profiles to run correctly.

Uninstalled Avast Premium Security, altered registry (fourth time) per Microsoft instructions, ran SFC /Scannow, booted troubleshooting mode, ran Start Up Repair, rebooted and system ran profiles successfully, but lost all user preferences (bookmarks, contacts, address books, etc...) did not destroy installed applications (3rd party) but lost all custom settings.

Booted system several times to make sure profiles were good, loaded items from back up folders rebooted without errors afterwards.  Installed fresh download of AVAST Premium Security from web, rebooted and lost user profile again.  Was exactly as original problem - only resolved after complete uninstall of AVAST product and fixes repeated on following reboot.

Now that I have a returned to working system - I can not install my copy of AVAST Premium that I paid for.  I do not have a path to "roll back" to Windows 10 Pro - the system will not allow it, there is a time limit on the process that I was not aware of.

If anyone else has run into this issue, and been able to successfully run the Premium Security Suite without loosing their user profile I would be interested in how that was accomplished.  Right now - the only help appears to be "migrated" up from a similar issue from several years ago with Windows 10 - and the commands do not match with Windows 11.

I am looking forward to comments - please keep them on topic.

CB

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hello CB_Hedricks,

I am sorry for your troubles. Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce the issue. Can you please provide a support package. It can be generated using our support tool. It doesn't matter Avast is uninstalled already. We might be able to identify the issue by checking your event log data.

Avast Support Tool: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Submit-support-file/

Offline CB_Hedricks

Was working on the report file as suggested.  Computer just rebooted (for update?) and when it finished loading in - user profiles are now not working at all.  Event manager pointed to software problem (Firefox) so I assume the process to obtain the data needed in that support link caused the reboot to occur.  Still not sure just why that would have happened.  Hardware is fine (tested all in other machines) so that is not a suspect at the moment. :-\

Will update once I have the restore completed.

CB