Author Topic: Giving my laptop with Avast premium to someone else  (Read 1396 times)

Offline nicholasspandagos

Giving my laptop with Avast premium to someone else
« on: November 08, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »
Hi,

I want to give my laptop to my nephew but keep Avast Premium on it and continue paying for that myself? Most likely he'll set up a new microsoft account to log into the laptop but does that make any difference? Is there anything I need to do and can I get a second account on the same email address/credit card for myself? Couldn't find anything relevant on the Help pages.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Giving my laptop with Avast premium to someone else
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
First I'm an Avast User not an Avast Team member.

The registration (product) and account are linked to your Avast Account.

So since you have already setup your Avast Account, with a user name and email address and is linked to your current payment (it should still work for your nephew).  Given the linkage I mentioned above you should get a reminder prior any renewal and payment would be taken at the renewal date if you have setup the auto renewal payment.

If your nephew's setting up a new Microsoft account doesn't require a fresh install (which I doubt) then the Avast Premium installation should be none the wiser to your generosity :)

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Points of note:
If your nephew right clicks on the Avast Tray Icon and then Registration he would be able to see some information and be able to access your Avast Account, which you may not want.
See attached images - this comes from my Avast Free installation which will differ from yours, but if you access your installation you will see what he could access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Giving my laptop with Avast premium to someone else
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 02:01:18 PM »
Hi,

I want to give my laptop to my nephew but keep Avast Premium on it and continue paying for that myself? Most likely he'll set up a new microsoft account to log into the laptop but does that make any difference? Is there anything I need to do and can I get a second account on the same email address/credit card for myself? Couldn't find anything relevant on the Help pages.

Hi,

You don't have to do anything to the current subscription. The subscription will still be associated with your details (irrespective of whoever is using it). You can add a new subscription for yourself to the same account (the same email address/credit card). If you wish to have a second account then you will need to use a different email address as well.