Author Topic: avast!: Problem with detection of Brazilian viruses  (Read 3139 times)

Octávio Brazilian

avast!: Problem with detection of Brazilian viruses
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:52:53 PM »
I like avast and think that is a good antivirus, but it have strong problems with detection of Brazilian viruses!

To solve this, and help users and AV vendors, all new viruses that i see, i send to AV vendors. Kaspersky, fortinet, etc, replyed my e-mails and added detection. Grisoft AVG don't reply my e-mails, but add detection too.

Symantec and avast! don't detect nothing of the virus that i collect, but, symantec add to database when i send, and avast no.
My question: Why the virus@avast.com don't reply my e-mails and don't add to database the viruses that i send? They have problems, much e-mails, and are slow or the problem is just with brazilian specific viruses and my e-mails?

I want to solve this, because avast! have much users in Brazil, and my friends using avast get orkut viruses and avast don't found virus! avast! is considered one of the best antivirus by the popular opinion here, but, with the poor detection of bankers and orkut/msn viruses, avast rating are decreasing.

The problem isn't new: I had posted a similar topic in 2005, but, nothing changed!
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13367.msg113112#msg113112

Sorry for my bad english, i just want to knew why the virus@avast don't add my brazilian viruses

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:04:36 PM by Octaiver Matt »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: avast!: Problem with detection of Brazilian viruses
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:31:09 PM »
Yes, I agree with you, there should at least be an auto reply when submitting samples. Hopefully that will change when they get the new submission process going.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast!: Problem with detection of Brazilian viruses
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:37 PM »
Why the virus@avast.com don't reply my e-mails
Because they don't have an automated answer. It's their policy.

and don't add to database the viruses that i send?
This is their problem... they are taking too long to add samples, they promise a new detection/submission method but still too slow... they hired people but don't seem enough...

They have problems, much e-mails, and are slow or the problem is just with brazilian specific viruses and my e-mails?
Yes, there are tons of emails... but we can't be on their side when we, the users, are the one that get infected.

avast! is considered one of the best antivirus by the popular opinion here, but, with the poor detection of bankers and orkut/msn viruses, avast rating are decreasing.
Yeah, you're right. AVG has better press in our country...
The best things in life are free.