Author Topic: Good Free Firewall?  (Read 101721 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Good Free Firewall?
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
I installed on XP-Pro system and the firewall was turned on by default. Any bugs were resolved in their forum in short order. Any connectivity problems can be fixed by putting it in "learning-mode" so it accepts activities of the user. Firewall rules can be hardened from within the interface. Any issues with OA can be addresses at http://support.online-armor.com/forums/ I used Kerio 2.1.5 before, and this offers just as good of protection as it. Granted, it took 2 installs for me.

It froze every single application I wanted to start. There is nothing to be tweaked when it comes to that. I didn't say it won't work on your system, but my own configuration won't work with this firewall regardless of what I tried. Million different systems, million different configurations. There is something for everybody out there... this is clearly not for me. Every other firewall I tried worked perfectly without a single problem and I didn't have to tweak a single thing. The only difference between all other firewalls I tried was their level of  protection. I won't bother with something like this, it showed me clearly how it works... or don't work.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2007, 04:03:21 PM »
Just making sure Sasha. :)
I'm back to PCTools Firewall Plus on both XP and Vista.
I still find it the easiest to use.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2007, 04:36:18 PM »
What are your experiences with Webroot Desktop Firewall ? Have you tried that one ? I am testing it now, but can't do much since I am at work (my laptop with Vista). If I like it I may try installing it on my laptop too.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline greyowl

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
I just discovered GhostWall Firewall which is free and basic and does not use much memory or cpu according to the writeup.

Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is it effective?
Dell Laptop, 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, XPsp3, Avast Free, Windows Firewall

gdiloren

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:47 PM »
I just discovered GhostWall Firewall which is free and basic and does not use much memory or cpu according to the writeup.

Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is it effective?
On such an important ordeal as a firewall, I would rather walk on sure grounds:Comodo or PC Tools or Zone Alarm Free. :D

janpoko

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
On such an important ordeal as a firewall, I would rather walk on sure grounds:Comodo or PC Tools or Zone Alarm Free. :D

I do not think your recommendations are quite responsible. For a selection, I recommend to address firewall experts. Unless you can prove otherwise, the acknowledged ones are at Matousec office, see

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

Eventually, you can have a look at Scott's blog. Scott is a man who lately did a thorough research concerning firewalls.

All other recommendations are just one-user personal findings that can differ vastly from what you will experience with your special system/configuration.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2008, 03:25:41 AM »
All other recommendations are just one-user personal findings that can differ vastly from what you will experience with your special system/configuration.
I include Scott's recommendations in 'personal findings' also... He has his opinions, I respect, but are his opinions...
The best things in life are free.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2008, 04:35:34 AM »
On the topic of firewalls, when is it anticipated that Avast will produce a firewall?

Sesame

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2008, 05:26:19 AM »
On the topic of firewalls, when is it anticipated that Avast will produce a firewall?
At least, not until Q3 this year.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33716.msg281745#msg281745
The final packaging is still to be decided, but currently, there's a plan to have a standalone AV, and a suite. If there's going to be a standalone firewall as well has not yet been decided, but it is possible.

Anyway, all this is going to happen no earlier than in avast 5.

http://www.avast.com/eng/press-release-avast-celebrates-50-000-000th-registered-user.html
In the year ahead, we will continue to offer the best protection our users have come to expect from avast!, as well as continuing to develop avast! Antivirus to offer the additional features that our users are demanding, culminating in the release of avast! 5 towards the end of Q3 2008.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the reference.

Offline greyowl

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2008, 05:08:30 PM »
In studying the test done by Matousec, I notice the excellent performance of ProSecurity 1.43.  I checked it on their website and it appears to use a HIPS approach and is not identified as a firewall. 

I don't understand why it was included in a firewall test.  Is it used instead of a firewall?   Would it provided the same level of security?  Would you use it as well as a firewall like OnlineArmor?

Could someone help me to understand this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
If the firewall installed uses HIPS then I wouldn't recommend using another HIPS application, so that is something you have to check out in the specification of the firewall you intend to use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline greyowl

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2008, 05:37:38 AM »
David R.,

I notice that you use Outpost 4.   The current version of Outpost is 6.  I do not know much about firewall so I am wondering if it is ok to use an older version--is it as effective?

I am curious because I just got a email with the offer of a free Outpost 6 Firewall.

Is Outpost a good firewall?   Does it compare to Comodo and OnlineArmor?  I notice in the recent tests that it is fourth.

Any opinions on Outpost will be appreciated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2008, 01:45:34 PM »
I'm in absolutely no rush to upgrade even though I have a lifetime license. I felt that outpost 2008 was too rushed and many had issues in the early install. I would say it was rushed out the door in great haste as it wasn't even Vista compatible, not to mention there was no work (or so it appeared) on OP 4.0 to get that Vista compatible. I don't use Vista so I couldn't have cared less but may users weren't very happy with Agnitum.

Then there is the insistence by OP 2008 that you disable one of the avast drivers, namely the one that supports the network shield even though it isn't a firewall and shouldn't be an issue. This issue is soon (I hope) to be resolved by OP where will no longer be a need to disable the avast driver, then I may update.

As to is it OK to use an old firewall, it depends on why it is old, if the later upgrade are for security reasons then I would say that you should upgrade otherwise you are potentially vulnerable. But in many cases these upgrades are adding new features that essentially don't change what your 'firewall' does (bells and whistles) then you could easily stay with an older version.

It is hard to compare firewalls as the only real test is anti-leak, what can escape from your system and all three you mention do well in tests, well above the rest and the differences are small even if classed as 4th in an arbitrary test, they are still well above the competition gaining 'Excellent' grades. One difference is you have to pay for OP 2008 where you can get free versions of comodo and online armor
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline greyowl

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »
David,

I sure appreciate your views---for a novice like me, your direct experience with these things is invaluable.