Author Topic: Recent Avast & Windows update gives me Blue Screen of Death  (Read 1469 times)

Offline mdmayes4

Recent Avast & Windows update gives me Blue Screen of Death
« on: November 18, 2021, 12:06:36 AM »
Hi all,
For the past 6 weeks I have had the dreaded BSOD, constantly rebooting.  I have tried many steps from various sources, to no avail.  I gave up and took my laptop into the shop.  They installed a new battery and re-installed windows 10.  I brought laptop home and slowly installed my suite of programs, starting with Avast and office day 1, Foxit PDF reader/Malwarebytes/CCleaner day 4, printer day 6......
And then BSOD came back.  They have had it for the last 5 days - and today when I picked it up they told me Avast is my issues!

I am kinda tech savvy and have used Avast for a very long time.  I'd hate to give it up - but if this is true I will.
What do I need to send you guys to see if it is really Avast that is my issue?  I can see event viewer and can run command etc.

If Avast is the problem then I'd love to give what ever is needed so you guys can fix the problem - right now I am not going to install Avast on this laptop (as I am aware it is difficult to fully uninstall and I am not paying another $100 to the computer store).

Please help  and thanks in advance   :)

Using Lenovo IdeaPad L340
Windows 10 Home 
OS Build  19043.1348
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
Processor  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz   1.80 GHz
Ram          8Gb
64bit operating system

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Recent Avast & Windows update gives me Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »
I brought laptop home and slowly installed my suite of programs, starting with Avast and office day 1, Foxit PDF reader/Malwarebytes/CCleaner day 4, printer day 6......
Regarding Avast & Malwarebytes, see: https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194-Issues-running-other-security-applications-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mdmayes4

Re: Recent Avast & Windows update gives me Blue Screen of Death
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 06:24:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I should say I use the free version of Malwarebytes were I manually run a scan once per week.  I have always done it that way and never had a problem in the past.  I got the blue screen of death after a windows update and the avast update. So I am not sure which one caused the problem - but it was one of them as I have had no problems using Malwarebytes free version and full Avast on this laptop.

Its just interesting that it wasn't straight away after install Malwarebytes that I got the BSOD.  It was like day 7. I thought it was my printer so I unsintalled that. The repair guy was the one who said it was Avast after running "diagnostics", and he had it for 5 days runnning tests.  No avast, no blue screen of death.  He has given me a free trial of malwarebytes full, I have not put avast back on the laptop.  This is my second day and no BSOD.   

Are there articles from avast about BSOD?  My 10 device subscription is due Feb 2022, so I have a few months to review and try to get it to work, but I am worried that if I install it again, that BSOD will come back.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 06:38:09 PM by mdmayes4 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0