Author Topic: I clicked a phishing link...where can I go to decipher the code?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Mike991

I clicked a phishing link...where can I go to decipher the code?
« on: November 18, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
Hi All,

Last night I got an email that appeared to be from the MS Store saying that some Xbox Series Xs were in stock. I clicked the link like an idiot because I had signed up for a legitimate program with MS before. Anyway the link opened my browser to a blank page and nothing appeared to happen. But I can see the contents in the link when I "copy link". Is there anywhere I can go to have someone help me know what the link code is doing?

FYI I am on Android and clicked on link in Outlook mobile which opened Edge browser.

EDIT: Sorry I should mention that I did not have Avast installed when I clicked the link as I had recently gotten a new phone and forgot! So bonus question...would Avast have stopped this link from activating or would it offer detection in my inbox? I have since installed Avast and it says everything is cool with my system.

I also forgot one important piece of info. I noticed a phishing email from my wife (I can tell from the header...no, I did not open) and I uninstalled Outlook for good measure.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 07:25:11 PM by Mike991 »

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: I clicked a phishing link...where can I go to decipher the code?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »
Hi All,

Last night I got an email that appeared to be from the MS Store saying that some Xbox Series Xs were in stock. I clicked the link like an idiot because I had signed up for a legitimate program with MS before. Anyway the link opened my browser to a blank page and nothing appeared to happen. But I can see the contents in the link when I "copy link". Is there anywhere I can go to have someone help me know what the link code is doing?

FYI I am on Android and clicked on link in Outlook mobile which opened Edge browser.

EDIT: Sorry I should mention that I did not have Avast installed when I clicked the link as I had recently gotten a new phone and forgot! So bonus question...would Avast have stopped this link from activating or would it offer detection in my inbox? I have since installed Avast and it says everything is cool with my system.

I also forgot one important piece of info. I noticed a phishing email from my wife (I can tell from the header...no, I did not open) and I uninstalled Outlook for good measure.

Hi,

Best to delete any spoofing email from your inbox.
Avast Antivirus includes built-in features like Web Shield, which protects you from spoofed websites, and File Shield, which protects you against malicious files on your device.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 04:16:44 PM »
...Avast Antivirus includes built-in features like Web Shield, which protects you from spoofed websites,

But Avast Webshield on Android does not work on all browsers, e.g. Firefox, or has that now changed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 05:01:35 PM »
...Avast Antivirus includes built-in features like Web Shield, which protects you from spoofed websites,

But Avast Webshield on Android does not work on all browsers, e.g. Firefox, or has that now changed?

As far as I'm aware this is still the case, as a Firefox user this is a pain in the backside.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security