Author Topic: Avast blocking access to NAS server (Synology) on local network  (Read 13202 times)

deltitnu

Avast blocking access to NAS server (Synology) on local network
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
Avast! Free Antivirus
Version: 6.0.1367

Windows Vista
Windows Firewall

I have a Synology NAS server connected to my router. I can access it from my laptop (specs above) fine until I updated Avast to the lastest version.

Now the server wont respond from this laptop.

The server still responds from another laptop running Avast Version: 5.1.889.

I get no message about it being blocked.

What to do?

If I'm not finding a solution very soon, I will have to try another antivirus software :(

-EDIT-

I have tried turning off the Web Shield in Avast (REAL-TIME SHIELDS -> Web Shield -> Stop). Still doesnt respond.

I have tried turning off the Windows Firewall. Still nothing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:56:28 PM by deltitnu »

ady4um

Re: Avast blocking access to NAS server (Synology) on local network
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
I have a Synology NAS server connected to my router. I can access it from my laptop (specs above) fine until I updated Avast to the lastest version.

Please reactivate your firewall. Then delete all firewall rules related to web browsers and / or to avast.

Reboot and when avast tries to update by itself, the firewall rules should be re-created with the updated program 6.0.1367 being correctly identified.

There are more possibilities in your particular case, so please report back if the suggestions above are not enough to solve the problem.

deltitnu

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »
It doesn't work :(

There is no rules in my firewall related to Avast.

I've tried deleting the rule related to Synology Asssistant, but no luck yet.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
Reboot. When avast tries to connect (to update itself), the firewall might ask you for permissions. whether the firewall reacts or not, wait 10 minutes after the reboot and review avast -> maintenance -> updates. Are avast definitions updated? Is the "Last update (attempt)" info just some minutes old? Was the update successful?

If the update was successful, you may try adding the specific IP address of the NAS in avast -> settings -> troubleshooting -> redirect settings.

Let us know if you were successful with this.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
ady4um note that the OP has stated there using the windows firewall, there are no entries or any exclusions necessary for avast in the windows firewall unless outbound protection has been enabled.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
ady4um note that the OP has stated there using the windows firewall, there are no entries or any exclusions necessary for avast in the windows firewall unless outbound protection has been enabled.

Understood. My comment was more of "just in case", "might". I don't have a crystal ball to know exactly what could happend in each and every case :). So I try to write as general as I can, while sometimes I go first for the most common and yet simple solutions.

Now we need to wait for feedback about the troubleshooting redirect settings, and if that is not good enough, then we'll see.

deltitnu

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
The NAS server has a dynamic IP so it wont work :S

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 08:24:49 PM »
Just for a test, please change web shield -> expert settings -> "well known browsers only", save changes and test. If it doesn't work, please return back the setting as it was before.

In theory, this has nothing to do, and you already said that disabling the shields completely doesn't work either, but it is simply enough to test, so please do.

Besides the redirect settings and the firewall (whether hardware or software or both types) are the ones I can think about having some influence here. If those are not solving your problem, then someone else might have some other idea (in addition to a cleanup / removal of older versions and clean install anew).

deltitnu

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Doesn't work :S

I'm going to uninstall Avast now to confirm that it's the cause of the problem.

Offline Florian162

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 08:42:47 PM »
I have the same problem since I installed Avast Security Premium. When I disable the Avast firewall all works fine like "\\NASNAME\". Enabling the firewall again blocks the path to the NAS

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 10:14:22 AM »
I have the same problem since I installed Avast Security Premium. When I disable the Avast firewall all works fine like "\\NASNAME\". Enabling the firewall again blocks the path to the NAS
Set the Avast Firewall to private mode/network and reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0