Author Topic: Resident Protection Problem  (Read 4876 times)

guyvancleve

Resident Protection Problem
« on: March 04, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »
I am unable to set my resident protection. It is currently disabled.  How can I enable it to standard or high.  Clicking and changing it is not permanent.

Also, clicking the icon at the bottom of the screen (circle with lower case oa in it) gets the error message "avast!:The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.  The operation could not be completed."   A button in the popup labeled OK, when clicked, closes the popup.  What does this mean?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Resident Protection Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 03:47:27 AM »
You are using Windows XP (or 2000)... Go to Administrative Tools > Services and choose the Remote Procedure Call service.
See its properties and set it to start automatically with Windows. Set the same for the two avast! services.

Make sure all of these services are running right now.

If not, try to start them or, al least, boot the computer.

After all, will avast! work?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 06:30:15 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

guyvancleve

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 05:32:36 PM »
I am using Windows XP Home.  I did as instructed, went to Administrative Tools>Services, and found one of the two files labeled Remote Procedure Call set on Manual.  I changed it to automatic and restarted Windows.  

Left clicking the on-access icon and selecting start runs through memory check successfully, then opens the simple user interface and Avast screen, which shows that resident protection is disabled.

Left clicking the on-acess button opens a popup with the message "avast!:The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error.  The operation could not be completed."  A button at the bottom is labeled OK.

I still can't set resident protection.  

What do I do to fix this?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 06:18:18 PM »
No Remote Procedure Call service. The "avast antivirus" service is what is interesting to you...check its status.  Disabling RPC is not even possible under XP - so there's no chance RPC wouldn't be running.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 04:03:42 PM »
You just need to restart everything related to avast!. Check for my avast! External Control tool in General part of this forum which does this the most user friendly way. But if this happens even if you restart machine than this is not the final solution.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog