Author Topic: Avast Updates  (Read 5838 times)

Cochise

Avast Updates
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:12:50 PM »
After performing a manual update, does one need to reboot Windows for the new virus update to be effective?

The reason I was asking was that I knew that there was a new release available yesterday so instead of going on the web and letting Avast perform an automated update, I just right clicked the Avast icon and told it to update. It dialed out and pulled in the update. Right after that I decided to check my mail, and the mail I received showed "Avast inbound mail clean", but the IAVS version was showing the previous update and not the current one. I checked the resident scanner and it did show the correct update version.  That  made me wonder if re-boots are needed afer Avast updates are done or if maybe you only had to reboot after a manual update. I have never seen Avast ask for a re-boot except for when  program updates are done.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 12:22:21 PM »
No, reboot is not needed for the virus database updates.
In the current version, there is a bug regarding the notes inserted to e-mails: when the virus database is updated, the mail scanner still puts the old version number to the e-mails. However, it uses the latest database - so you don't have to worry.
It will be fixed in the next update.

Cochise

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 03:36:07 PM »
Thanks!  :)  I do not reboot too often and was worried about not being updated.

sedina

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 04:48:54 PM »
for hot-fix of problem with old VPS version in texts in Internet Mail Provider, you can re-start ashmaisv.exe process after vps update. Sorry for this bug ;-(