Author Topic: Avast and ThreatFire seem a good combination  (Read 9387 times)

Jahn

Re: Avast and ThreatFire seem a good combination
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 03:39:42 AM »
I tried it when it was CyberHawk, but it didn't work out for me. For some reason it caused a 4-5 second 98-99% CPU spike whenever I did anything in IE 7 (FF was OK). I tried disabling and even uninstalling some other security programs, as per the support person I was working with. But nothing helped, so I uninstalled it. I'm gonna give Comodo Firewall 3 (w/ HIPS) a try when it comes out of beta.

I've tried ThreatFire for 'bout 6 days now and seem e'thing work fine for me except whenever I've launched IE7. My pc seem stuck for couple of seconds and I've never experienced this before installing ThreatFire. Maybe what you've said is right but I'll let it working for couple of day more.
Yep, that sounds like what I was experiencing, so they apparently haven't worked out that bug, yet.
Go to support, ask for Armando, and tell him I sent you. (just joking ;D )

Jahn

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 03:45:48 AM »

My problem with Lavasoft Ad-adware is not the false positive detection.
But the lack of detection at all... I found much much more effective other anti-spyware tools like SpywareTerminator, SuperAntiSpyware or avg-anti-spyware, for instance.
I agree totally. I stopped using Lavasoft's AdAware very early this year (after 5 years) because of these very same reasons. It has become virtually useless.

True. All it ever seemed to find is tracking cookies.

E

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 06:44:13 PM »
Same here, apart from SpywareBlaster and that Comodo app which sits in memory to intercept any .exe comands, Adware07 is the only other true anti spyway app I have in use and all it has found is MUIs and Tracking Cookies, then again I do tend to stick to the more trusted sites .