Author Topic: Does Avast Antivirus remove system files?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Heewoon

• Staying safe from malware with Avast
Does Avast Antivirus remove system files?
« on: November 27, 2021, 04:48:02 AM »
I am currently using Avast with no problems, but I am still curious.
Does Avast sometimes make mistakes, like deleting important system files that don't contain malware?

I hope someone can answer this.
Windows 11, Avast Free Antivirus. Avast One => Avast Free Antivirus. Currently using Avast Free. Antiviruses: Windows Defender => Avast One(WinDefender deactivated) => Avast One uninstall => WinDefender was activated again => Avast Free Antivirus

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does Avast Antivirus remove system files?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »
First - Avast has a very low FP rate, as seen in many of the various testing labs publicly available results.  These test results are frequently posted in the avast forums.

Second - System files should be digitally signed, if so and they aren't tampered (signature is valid) with then it shouldn't even be considered infected.

Third - There is nothing to stop you adjusting the Avast Settings (though you don't say what Avast program you are using) to stop autonomous action in the Avast Shields.  I never allow any program to take autonomous action, I make the decisions for my system, so I set it to Ask.  Obviously you have to have some knowledge to make the decision.

I have only been using Avast for over 17 years and have not experienced a false positive on a system file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security