Author Topic: NEW Avast Version 21.10 (November 2021)  (Read 26969 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: NEW Avast Version 21.10 (November 2021)
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2021, 01:33:34 AM »
How to uninstall a flawed version of Avast secure browser ? And how to stop flawed update to be systematic ?
The last update was such a terrible job, i lost everything.
All my personnal information, all my shortcut in homepage except for facebook (who cares ?), and all of my ******* passwords.

I have replied in your other topic, https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=308985.0 please stick to that one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2021, 02:28:39 AM »
I really wish I read this thread before I downloaded the new update. Luckily I haven't restarted my computer yet so the update hasn't taken effect and I thus don't have the firewall enabled yet, but I know I will eventually need to restart it for something else.

Does anyone know if an update is expected that would allow us to disable the firewall if we wish to continue using the Windows firewall? So far it seems like it's either use Avast's firewall or don't use Avast AV at all.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2021, 02:40:16 AM »
I really wish I read this thread before I downloaded the new update. Luckily I haven't restarted my computer yet so the update hasn't taken effect and I thus don't have the firewall enabled yet, but I know I will eventually need to restart it for something else.

Does anyone know if an update is expected that would allow us to disable the firewall if we wish to continue using the Windows firewall? So far it seems like it's either use Avast's firewall or don't use Avast AV at all.
Well, the replies I got after my post about it seem to indicate that after Firewall will appear it should be possible to go and remove it as any other component, and after that, with computer restart, it should be gone and the windows default firewall should work again.

Could you test it and confirm it, since you already got it?

You can't avoid rebooting your computer forever anyway.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:51 AM »

Well, the replies I got after my post about it seem to indicate that after Firewall will appear it should be possible to go and remove it as any other component, and after that, with computer restart, it should be gone and the windows default firewall should work again.

Could you test it and confirm it, since you already got it?

You can't avoid rebooting your computer forever anyway.

I don't know, it kind of seems like you're trying to get me to restart and get me to accept the full install and have me be stuck with the firewall...

In all seriousness, I work from home and use my computer for work, so maybe i'll do it Saturday morning so I have the weekend to use in case something goes awry.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2021, 03:11:03 AM »
Don't worry. The Firewall is not forced. You can remove the Firewall component after the update or decide to not install during a fresh installation. So if you prefer Windows Firewall, then you can keep using that with Avast.

Just so i'm clear, is it disabled/turned off after the update and lets me decide if I want it first, or does it enable it and turn off the Windows 10 firewall by default and I have to then manually disable it and then do another restart?

And if it's something I can enable or disable like I can the other shields, does it give you an error notification or a red X icon when you disable the firewall? Because that's what happens when you disable any of the other shields, even temporarily.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2021, 03:11:54 AM »
I still didn't update to this version, simply because the issue of the broken export/restore settings system. My version 21.8 is wroking fine, so for now I don't see any benefit from the update.

EDITED this post.

Don't worry. The Firewall is not forced. You can remove the Firewall component after the update or decide to not install during a fresh installation. So if you prefer Windows Firewall, then you can keep using that with Avast.

Just so i'm clear, is it disabled/turned off after the update and lets me decide if I want it first, or does it enable it and turn off the Windows 10 firewall by default and I have to then manually disable it and then do another restart?

And if it's something I can enable or disable like I can the other shields, does it give you an error notification or a red X icon when you disable the firewall? Because that's what happens when you disable any of the other shields, even temporarily.
I mysef suspect that it might go either way. If Firewall will be there, it could be impossible to disable it as a shield, and even if it is, apparently it's possible to simply remove the whole Firewall component, reboot the computer and that's it.

In that case it's not a big deal anyways, if temporarily Windows Firewall will be disabled, before the component removal takes place.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:16:43 AM by InvisibleMan »

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2021, 03:14:52 AM »
Yeah I saw that, I still have some other questions about the alleged optional firewall, which I laid out in my message right before yours.

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2021, 03:19:23 AM »
Yeah I saw that, I still have some other questions about the alleged optional firewall, which I laid out in my message right before yours.
Btw, I edited my post above to answer your reply above it.

I's noticeable, that Mr. Avast disliked the firewall for the lack of features, and stayed with Windows Firewall. So it should be indeed possible to at least remove the component of Firewall and not use it.

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2021, 03:23:49 AM »
Thanks, and I appreciate your willingness to help, but you seem to just be suspecting what could be the case and inferring from there. I would really like to know for sure how it works and what I can expect before I go ahead with the rest of the update. I think i'll need a response from Mr. Avast or anyone else who has gone on with the update to confirm.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2021, 10:59:56 AM »
From what I have seen, you can choose whether or not to use Avast Firewall by selecting it same way as other Avast Free options:
Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting>[ADD / MODIFY COMPONENTS]

Offline Michael529

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »
I just updated the Free version to version 21.10 through the GUI.
Before doing so, I looked to make sure that I knew how to remove the firewall, if necessary, following the advice in this thread. Surprisingly, my version 21.9 told me that the firewall was already available, but that it wasn't installed. Surprisingly because I had looked when 21.9 was first installed here and the firewall wasn't available then, so the option had been activated sometime subsequent to that installation.
After the update, the message was the same as before that the Avast Free firewall was available, but not installed.
OK, so the update went well, and I don't have the new Avast firewall installed. But it is available, so my question is what advantage would there be over using the Windows 10 default firewall?

Offline Dinobot2

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2021, 12:29:40 AM »
Just finished the install process and gave my computer a restart, and can confirm what Michael529 said. It simply unlocks the Firewall box and gives you the option to install it if you wish.

Word of advice: do not click Install unless you actually want to. I clicked it out of curiosity thinking it would give me a dialog box to confirm or bring me thrugh some steps, but once you click it, it automatically starts installing. I force restarted my PC before it finished which stopped the installation, so i'm still without it, so if you accidentally do it like I did (for some reason), just do that if you're able.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 12:45:36 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline InvisibleMan

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2021, 03:32:10 AM »
so my question is what advantage would there be over using the Windows 10 default firewall?

Only disadvantages for now, as you can see in the beginning of this user's comment:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=308695.msg1665774#msg1665774
I had to uninstall and reinstall the product to get the Firewall.
But this Firewall doen't have the option to manually add programs to it to create my rules. This is such a shame. Adding apps is the most basic feature of any Firewall. It doesn't matter that it's free. So core functionality wise it's even worse than Windows Firewall.

I also want to point out, that Windows Firewall was in development and was being perfected for as long as Windows existed in general, up till Windows 10.

So it's the most likely to work in a more polished and proper way for Windows, than any third party Firewalls, unless some very professional products from really trusted sources.

Even if Avast Firewall currently would be as perfectly tested and reliable as Windows Firewall, there's still would be that disadvantage of adding rules manually, the lack of full control.

I assume it's because it's in Avast Free Antivirus. In paid products most likely it would have more features. Though I can't be sure.

Offline miguelgrado

• Advanced Poster
  • Admin ForoAntispyware
    • Foroantispyware
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2021, 09:42:58 AM »
Hello

The new Firewall (paid version), is now less intuitive in some respects.

First of all the applications with connection can not be grouped as before, also to remove one from the list you have to delete by serado incoming and exiting connection and there is no option to delete simply.

Another feature that seems to have disappeared is that of cleaning obsolete applications. I mean. those rules of applications that are no longer installed on the pc

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2021, 02:00:04 PM »
I quite like the free firewall. Just wondering, are Trusted and Untrusted networks same as Private and Public under "Basic rules" ?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog