Author Topic: Unable to restart to windows 10 after avast update  (Read 1182 times)

Offline researchwin

Unable to restart to windows 10 after avast update
« on: December 02, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »
Hello,
I did an update for avast program yesterday and have not been able to boot into windows 10 .  I tried the many windows methods like bootrec  commands and many others except resetting the computer.  Anybody that can help.  The avast update took an unusually long time at the end of the installation i.e after downloading.  Almost half hour in the last 5% of the install.  Not sure if this is a hint.  All hardware checks are fine.

Also, I dont think there is any issue with the bootsector or boot issue since I have it set to dual boot and can see the windows boot menu.

Thanks

Offline InvisibleMan

Re: Unable to restart to windows 10 after avast update
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:31:14 AM »
Try to boot in a safe mode into Windows 10 and try to use a restore point to restore windows to its earlier state.

Offline researchwin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:05:53 AM »
Thats what I meant by many methods to recover in windows.  I cannot even get to safe mode.  I only can access the command line prompt from recovery.  Seems to crash after boot and before loading the OS.  Hence I am sure its avast as that is the only update I did.  Any way to prevent avast loading at boot time from command prompt?
Thanks

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »
I had the same experience a few weeks ago when I attempted to update Avast from 21.5 to 21.9.  The Windows 10 Pro x64 system just would not restart so I recovered the system from a backup immediately preceding the failed update and all worked OK.  Apart from this Avast problem, the system is working well.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:16:12 PM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware