Author Topic: What Setting's Are You Using?  (Read 4527 times)

cueball

What Setting's Are You Using?
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:47:59 AM »
I've had avast installed for awhile now.  I haven't gotten any virus alerts.  I'm not complaining but it seems like it isn't working.  The 'a' spins from time to time so I know it's working just doesn't seem to be. 
Anyway, a couple of questions...

I have the free edition 4.7.  I have 7 providers and 6 running.  I don't use outlook so that's turned off.  Do I need all of them running?  Should I set them on Normal, High or Custom?

I know there's  not a scheduler on the free edition.  How often should I do a thorough scan?  When not doing a thorough scan what kind of scan should I do.

Also, what is resident scanner?

auggieaz

Re: What Setting's Are You Using?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:16:08 AM »

I have had the same thing happen, only finds the same "tracking cookie" every time!  I have deleted it, but it keeps showing up again and again.   I also bought the Home Edition, and I really only wanted the Trial or Free version. How do I get my money refunded?   I wrote to them but havent heard back. Maybe I have the wrong email addy.  I am not happy with it, and my other 3 antivirus programs find stuff all the time,  no virus' thank goodness.   
HOW DO I GET MY $70 REFUNDED??   TY for any help you can give me.

MarKvi

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:37:36 AM »
Cueball:

I think that, No virus was found message is much better then opposite message, or am i wrong?

If the spinning avast icon in system tray is not enough, you can just simply check :

"Show detailed info on performed action" under Standard shield provider - Customize button - Advanced tab

-
You don't need to have all providers running in background. You can have a provider installed that you don't need for your system. For example - email client /Outlook/exchange,Internet mail / depend on your email application - MS Outlook or Outlook express.
Left click on your avast icon in system tray and you can see, which provider is running and which is terminated.

-
Thorough scan - you can find here a lot of points of view, but if you are using internet only for "secure browsing" and you are using "secure" source where you are buying/downloading your applications, once per week is really enough.
But if you have to see everything on the internet and you have to try every new application which you can find there , its better do it more often then once per week.
And if you are the second one , it can be good to take a look for additional security application like /firewall, anti-malware/:
SUPERantispyware
Spyware Terminator
a-squared
Comodo

Resident scanner - when you are looking on avast! simple user interface , there is a line with Resident Protection. You can find there 3 choices - Disable/Standard/High . Everytime you change this , sensitivity of all your running providers will change.
Disable - all providers will be terminated
Standard - Sensitivity for all providers will change to Normal
High - Sensitivity for all providers will change to High 
You can do the same, for all providers one by one - just left click on avast! icon in system tray and pick your needed provider
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:43:19 AM by MarKvi »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:34:47 PM »
Cueball, If you want to see the AV in action, have a look here: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm, read the info, try downloading a file. (They are harmless "mock" viruses.) If you have the webshield on, it will block the page loading. If not, Avast! will alert you as soon as the file is downloaded, or run in the case of the zipped files. (But strangely, not in the case of the text file, here, yet the webshield will prevent the page loading.)
If you want a second opinion, there are standalone AV's you can scan with, or online scans, just to make sure you are all clean. Dr Web's "Cureit" seems pretty good.

auggieaz,
I think you've been ripped off. You apparently have not downloaded Avast home from the Avast site, and some a$$hole has charged you for something that should be free. Not only that, it is almost certainly not the real Avast AV, but a crappy imitation, or rogue software with a similar name. That is between you and the company you purchased it from, though if it carries the Avast name/logo, perhaps the folk at Avast will be interested to help. Try emailing them.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
I also bought the Home Edition, and I really only wanted the Trial or Free version. How do I get my money refunded? HOW DO I GET MY $70 REFUNDED??   TY for any help you can give me.
I hope you haven't bought a license from a site on this list: http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html

The Home version is free for Home & Non-commercial users.
The best things in life are free.

E

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:24:41 AM »
Well Avast! is perfect as far as those virus test go..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Well Avast! is perfect as far as those virus test go..
Thanks for the comment...
But, is it related to this thread in anyway? ??? ???

E

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:34:58 PM »
Heh, I guess not.. sorry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:29:31 PM »
Heh, I guess not.. sorry
No, problems. I realize you're following your troubleshooting here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30911.msg256274#msg256274

auggieaz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 02:12:37 AM »
Thank you TECH & all for replies to my problem, but what is the real email for customer service @ avast?
I have sent them 2 different emails about getting a refund and have not heard from them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:12:54 AM »
I would have thought sales @ avast.com, though I'm a little confused by the fact you mention "I also bought the Home Edition" which is free ?

Where did you purchase it from ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Faye

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 10:45:08 AM »
Thank you TECH & all for replies to my problem, but what is the real email for customer service @ avast?
I have sent them 2 different emails about getting a refund and have not heard from them.

Good morning auggieaz,

I have searched our email system and was not able to find any email from you.

Please note that you can reach avast sales department at "sales@avast.com" for any price quote, purcahse information and refund issues.

And you are also welcome to contact our support department at support@avast.com and ask for technical help.

I note from our system that you have subscribed to our free Home Edition.You also make note in the application for this license (under comment) that your have bought few of our free Home Edition.

However, our software can be downloaded all the time, 24x7 without penalty, and for the(home and non-commercial use) free Home Edition you just need to register a free license key to activate it.You can register (for free) your avast! Home Edition here:http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

I wonder if you have made an unofficial purchase via another website?

Please check your records to make sure that this was really purchased via our offical online shop share-it!. 

If it was purchased through  share-it!, we would be happy to help you if you can provide us with the following information to assist us in our search for the order.

Order reference number from purchase confirmation e-mails:
Exact e-mail address entered on the order form:

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best regards,

Faye Liu
Avast! sales
www.avast.com

auggieaz

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 02:54:42 AM »
thanks Faye for your help and I found that the $70 charge has been removed from my credit card.  I was a WRECK  :o worrying about it.  All is fine now  :) ty