Author Topic: It's taking forever...  (Read 2233 times)

captmicha

It's taking forever...
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:35:01 PM »
I have the home edition.

When I right click on a file and click on scan with avast it takes forever to scan it. It says initializing program, please wait.

More than a minute.

Is this normal? It's not a small file but should it be taking this long? It happens other times I've tried it too.

Or it gets stuck at a number of tested files and doesn't move or if it does, it takes a super long time and the computer says the program isn't responding sometimes.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: It's taking forever...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »
Does this happen for all files you try to scan or just specific ones? If just specific ones i suggest you to submit them to ALWIL team with description what went wrong. If not, let us know with some more info.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

captmicha

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
It's pretty much for all files. Except for text files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:57:39 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.