Author Topic: avast and openSUSE 10.3 problem  (Read 6675 times)

Pooper

avast and openSUSE 10.3 problem
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »
Hi...How do I run avast in openSUSE 10.3 [logged in as a single user, and not logged in as root]?
avast was just fine with Ubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 - no probs running or updating.
Pls.advise...tnx.../rgcrook

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast and openSUSE 10.3 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:00:32 AM »
It should run the same in SUSE than in Ubuntu.
The root is necessary to update the program and to scan access denied files, just this.
I don't think avast should behave different because of the distros.
The best things in life are free.

vendion

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I have yet tried to get avast to run on my openSUSE 10.3 boot, I don't see how it would be any different from 10.2.  I'll have a look into this and see if it is any different or not and post my findings.

vendion

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:05:28 PM »
Updating & scanning with non root user via GUI and CLI works no problems.  You may need to reinstall your avast and see it that helps, note I installed my copy via RPMs and using YaST.

(Assuming this is your first time using Avast in Linux, if its not then you can skip this part) In order for it to work you first need to run the GUI version of it, if running KDE you can do this easily by hitting Alt + F2 and typing in avast, or you can look for it in your menu.  After you ran the GUI for the first time and entered in your registration you can choose to keep using the GUI or use the CLI. 

To use the CLI just type avast and tell it the options and where to scan, it defaults to scanning the current users home.