Author Topic: Am I really unprotected ~now~?  (Read 3176 times)

SteveO29

Am I really unprotected ~now~?
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »
Hello,

Today I got the "red box" warning me that my Avast! registration has expired and that my computer is ~now~ "unprotected".

I am going to re-register, but while waiting for my new registration key to be mailed to me.. I'm curious about something. When I go to "About Avast!" under "registration key".. it says..

Type: Home
Expiration: Never
Updates Expiration: Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:00:00 AM

With it being October 11, I AM still protected.. at least until November 1st, correct?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Am I really unprotected ~now~?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »
Check and ensure that your system date is correct, adjust as required.

Check Task Manager and see what avast processes are running, they begin with ash or asw.

avast should still work but you can't update until you reregister. I wouldn't worry too much about the expiry date issue too much and just reregister now. Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SteveO29

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:56:13 PM »
Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Avast is still working, yes. However I just wondered if indeed my copy of Avast is not receiving updates right now. Usually when a program is about to expire you'll get a warning at ~least~ a few days ahead of time.

But Avast's warning alerted me that my computer is not protected ~now~.

I did re-register at the Avast website.. but ~still~ have not received my key. So basically I'm unprotected and will not receive updates until I get my registration key? How long will that take? I don't like the idea of being online without an up-to-date anti-virus program. I wish I could have gotten a warning a few days ahead so I could prepare.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:22:42 AM »
You are 'not' unprotected as you yourself have shown, everything else will work, just that your signatures won't be fully up to date.
What is the VPS version you have, right click the avast 'a' icon select about avast (the latest VPS is 000760-2) ?

You can try a manual update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, iAVS Update, does that work ?

Your registration key email should arrive within minutes, unless your ISP or your spam filter gets it, that is why I gave the email address so you can add it to any anti-spam whitelist/filter.

What is your ISP was that the email domain you are sending it to ?
If so you could try registering again using a different email address domain, if you haven't got another address try getting a free Yahoo email account address.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:18:54 AM »
Usually when a program is about to expire you'll get a warning at ~least~ a few days ahead of time.
So do avast.

But Avast's warning alerted me that my computer is not protected ~now~.
Are you sure about the message that says you're unprotected?
Were you using the trial period (60 days) or you've registered the Home version?
Did you uninstall avast and install it again?
The best things in life are free.