Author Topic: Amazon launching second browser tab that Avast is RIGHTFULLY flagging. Any Fix??  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Wayne158

Not too long ago I started noticing that when I  launched Amazon Smile which is important in contest of this problem.
Amazon Smile has a different tab icon than just Amazon.com.
When I first experienced this issue, Avast would flag the new tab, prevent second from loading, replace with what appears to be a static Avast page that said bad site. At same time I would get big black Avast popup saying site blocked because it was phishing site.

That went on for several days then the fraudulent phishing site was able to get past the Avast protection and load a phony Amazon site. This where I saw it was loading the generic regular Amazon home page due to the different tab icon appearances

That went on for a few days where it could load fake Amazon homepage.

Now it is back to Avast flagging the second tab as bogus phishing site.
Unfortunately, I am unable to locate a button to upload the images I have captured as phony page launches.
I see the "Insert Image" button but I see no way to actually upload the images. I've tried copy/paste between the two image placeholders and I have also tried to put Path inside of placeholders.

I'm trying to resolve this Amazon problem but it would be nice if the help section relating to posting had how to upload images as a subtopic.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Quote from: Wayne158
Unfortunately, I am unable to locate a button to upload the images I have captured as phony page launches.
I see the "Insert Image" button but I see no way to actually upload the images. I've tried copy/paste between the two image placeholders and I have also tried to put Path inside of placeholders.

Use the Attachments and other options text, click to expand. Now you will be able to attach images.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Wayne158

Also, this seems to effect any site on initial launch. Did same on Kroger site and other sites that I launched initially.  I shut down laptop at night and shutdown edge as part of process so what I am saying is next morning I launch Edge and default page Google opens.
I then decide I want to open Amazon via clicking the toolbar link I've had forever.
That page opens but about time that page is fully loaded, a new tab will open with the bogus site which currently Avast is catching but which a few days ago it was letting through.
Attachments I circled the new tab and text it contains and then the Avast alert flags site.
As I said though, this is not just an Amazon problem as I am getting these alerts on completely unrelated web sites.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Also, this seems to effect any site on initial launch. Did same on Kroger site and other sites that I launched initially.  I shut down laptop at night and shutdown edge as part of process so what I am saying is next morning I launch Edge and default page Google opens.
I then decide I want to open Amazon via clicking the toolbar link I've had forever.
That page opens but about time that page is fully loaded, a new tab will open with the bogus site which currently Avast is catching but which a few days ago it was letting through.
Attachments I circled the new tab and text it contains and then the Avast alert flags site.
As I said though, this is not just an Amazon problem as I am getting these alerts on completely unrelated web sites.

Hi,

Can you run a scan in Avast Antivirus and see if anything is detected, please?

Offline Wayne158

I ran full scan, all the other options available and they all came up empty. But when I launched Edge this morning it did not do the loading of new tabs with redirect text in tab. I am dubious about issue being gone as I have seen nothing to say that malicious code/script was found.
There are a bunch of alert notifications in Avast.
The attached is when there was a transition from one phishing site to another.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
I ran full scan, all the other options available and they all came up empty. But when I launched Edge this morning it did not do the loading of new tabs with redirect text in tab. I am dubious about issue being gone as I have seen nothing to say that malicious code/script was found.
There are a bunch of alert notifications in Avast.
The attached is when there was a transition from one phishing site to another.

Hi,

The two URLs as in the screenshot was considered a false positive. They are no longer detected.
As for the loading of new tabs no longer occurring, that is not clear. Perhaps you will find something in quarantine (Protection> Quarantine) or if you had "Generate scan reports" (https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Create-Antivirus-scan-report/) enabled, you can view the reports to see if anything was detected.

Offline Wayne158

So how is a second unwanted tab getting launched in the Edge browser?
I reinstalled Chrome yesterday and this does not happen in Chrome browser.
So, some script, that I did not initiate, forces a new tab to launch in Edge only.
This seems like a new take on an old problem where the user would get barraged with pop-up's and pop-under's.
If I, THE USER is not hitting the add new tab + symbol nor am I clicking a link where a new tab is expected, that's a problem.
It tells me either a script I don't want on my laptop is on my laptop, or that Edge has been compromised on my computer.
I would also remind you that the end user (me) is at your mercy in regards to what is okay and what isn't. Saying  "It is okay, those are false positives, they won't alarm anymore" just tells me you can't find malicious intent so you are letting this script by or it's a known ad service that you are okay with.
Until I know what that script is, and why it is running without my permission, only in the Edge browser, it is going to remain a problem to me.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
So how is a second unwanted tab getting launched in the Edge browser?
I reinstalled Chrome yesterday and this does not happen in Chrome browser.
So, some script, that I did not initiate, forces a new tab to launch in Edge only.
This seems like a new take on an old problem where the user would get barraged with pop-up's and pop-under's.
If I, THE USER is not hitting the add new tab + symbol nor am I clicking a link where a new tab is expected, that's a problem.
It tells me either a script I don't want on my laptop is on my laptop, or that Edge has been compromised on my computer.
I would also remind you that the end user (me) is at your mercy in regards to what is okay and what isn't. Saying  "It is okay, those are false positives, they won't alarm anymore" just tells me you can't find malicious intent so you are letting this script by or it's a known ad service that you are okay with.
Until I know what that script is, and why it is running without my permission, only in the Edge browser, it is going to remain a problem to me.

Hi,

This type of browser behaviour does not necessarily mean that your PC is infected. I would suggest that you reset your browser to its default settings. Please see this guide for more details. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Reset-browser

Offline Wayne158

Here is my problem with that. It's Avast that is periodically flagging those browser tabs, not me going "Hey, this isn't right."
That coupled with the fact it launches the wrong Amazon page when it launches the unwanted, un asked for tab.
I have a link in my Favorites toolbar that is set to smile.Amazon.com
Amazon will prompt me, if I end up clicking on some ad link that takes me to Amazon but NOT Smile.Amazon Amazon pops up a message saying effectively "Do this transaction on smile.amazon, not regular Amazon.
That leaves me with open ended question that since it is NOT Amazon launching the tab, who is it launching the wrong tab? The wrong tab that Avast randomly flags as a phishing site.
Can you tell me what is going on here because this is one of redirect faults I get.

https://app.swaggerhub.com/apis/kalad-dev/Nakarta-API-Redirects/1.0.0#/info