Author Topic: Please add a way to disable CyberCapture  (Read 1937 times)

Offline samous

Please add a way to disable CyberCapture
« on: November 16, 2021, 01:19:54 PM »
It always annoys me, since every file I build is scanned (I'm a developer). Couldn't find the option to disable Avast CyberCapture.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Please add a way to disable CyberCapture
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
Are you actually using Avast One (as this sub forum related to that) ?

As it is much less configurable more for the install and forget type user rather than a developer.

Even Avast Free is highly configurable and one of the things that made me switch to Avast Free over 17 years ago.  Presumably you as a developer would be better off with the Avast Premium as that has the same configurability. Including disabling CyberCapture, See attached UI image for my Avast Free installation in regard to CyberCapture.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Heewoon

• Staying safe from malware with Avast
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 07:14:31 AM »
Having CyberCapture is the whole point of an antivirus, if you want to disable it, just turn on passive mode or uninstall every av. Sorry i dont think you can disable it in Avast One, Avast 29.1 at least does support turning it off.
Windows 11, Avast Free Antivirus. Avast One => Avast Free Antivirus. Currently using Avast Free. Antiviruses: Windows Defender => Avast One(WinDefender deactivated) => Avast One uninstall => WinDefender was activated again => Avast Free Antivirus

Offline Be Free!

• Unprofessional
  • Be free!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 11:01:52 AM »
I wouldn't consider CyberCapture "Essential" but it is an important part of zero-day detection. But I mean if you turned it off, behavior shield would still probably detect anything malicious.

That being said, if you are a developer you'd be better off using Avast Free, for some reason Avast decided to absolutely butcher any and all customizability in Avast One.

Anyways, if you are using Avast One, it does have an option for CyberCapture, it's located under "File Shield" and "Advanced Settings", just uncheck the box in the image below that says "Analyze unrecognized files", I'm not sure why the setting doesn't mention "CyberCapture" in the title or description, seems like a UI oversight, but I have confirmed through testing that it is the toggle for CyberCapture.

My biggest gripe with Avast One is how they've consolidated File Shield and Behavior Shield into one.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:15:00 AM by Be Free! »