Author Topic: How do I stop the HIGHLY annoying popup adverts for products  (Read 923 times)

Offline john2122

How do I stop the HIGHLY annoying popup adverts for products
« on: December 08, 2021, 04:07:25 PM »
Hello,

As stated in the subject. How do I stop the HIGHLY annoying popup adverts for (other) products and renewing my subscription??
I mean, I KNOW my subscription is ending END OF FEBRUARY 2022. I do not need to be reminded NOW and certainly not a million times!!
I am also NOT interested in any of your other products, so stop sending me uncontrollable amounts of messages about them.

And I cannot just simply ignore them, because they are windows in the center of the screen that must be closed manually. Couldn't be more annoying if you tried...

I have a paid for product! I don't need and want this type of harassment!

The only option seems to be to run Avast in quiet mode (Settings > Notifications > enable "use silent mode and turn of all popups, alerts and messages"), which is NOT an option, because it also hides EVERY other notification of any other program in Windows...

I have also disabled the options in Settings > Personal Privacy (in several different configurations).

Please explain to me how to stop these popups

Thank you
John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 04:38:36 AM by john2122 »

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
Re: How do I stop the HIGHLY annoying popup adverts for products
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 07:31:01 AM »
Hello John,

I'm really sorry for this bad experience. Please try the silent mode. I think it is a good option. It will not hide notifications from other programs in Windows. Unfortunately it hides detection dialogs, but malware and attacks are still blocked.

Petr

Offline john2122

Re: How do I stop the HIGHLY annoying popup adverts for products
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 04:33:34 PM »
Hi Petr,

I was under the impression that this option also suppressed other Windows & app notifications, because when I enabled this option, Outlook stopped displaying new mail notifications. I tried again just now and tested with some new emails, but this time I did get new mail notifications with the Avast option enabled. So, I guess it was just a coincidence.

But, even though this suppresses the popup windows, it does nothing for the Avast spam emails I'm also receiving...

All this aside, though, why are we even talking alternative methods & tricks to get rid of this?? Why don't you, Avast, just stop doing it in the first place!? It's not like I'm the only one complaining about / annoyed by this.

A paying customer shouldn't have to jump through hoops to stop their supplier from sending / showing them unwanted messages. How anyone at Avast can  think this email & popup spamming is a good thing is totally beyond me...

After many years of using Avast, I am at a 50/50 split decision at the moment on dropping it altogether, in favor of an AV application that doesn't annoy me...
I really am not a happy customer atm.

I'll have to think about this.
In the meantime, you may consider my initial inquiry answered.