Author Topic: Questions  (Read 5083 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Questions
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »
<snip quotes>
Which is exactly the irony I'm talking about, the difficulty of multiple (not just two) AV companies with different methods of detection and naming conventions to have common/the same malware names.

What is the likelihood of Engine A and B having the same malware name (if the both detected it) and that's just two AV signature databases.
those AV that use multi engines (usually two) only show detection from one, have never seen anyone display more then one detection

That is neither here nor there, the point is they differ in the same way as virtually all other individual AV companies virus databases and the likelihood of all somehow having the same malware name or naming convention is I fear extremely unlikely. There is possibly more chance of you or I winning the lottery (and I don't play the lottery).

My point revolves around your links about malware naming in Reply #5

Quote from extracts
"Malware names are not clear. Neither the terms related to them have a common understanding, nor the names themselves. There is no common standard. There is no institution, database or organization that has an exhaustive list of malware names and their definition."
and
"The first attempt to make malware naming consistent was in 1991, when a committee at CARO created A New Virus Naming Convention. This was a time where all or almost all existing malware was also a virus. The naming scheme has influenced today's detection names. Most AV vendors use the same or similar components that CARO suggested but often with their own terminology and ordering."

Whilst this article wasn't written in 1991 - Much has changed since 1991, in both numbers of malware variants and the way AV companies detecting them, so trying to apply a common standard is virtually impossible.  hell just look at the numbers of virus signatures there are in just the avast virus signatures database '27,401,696'.

Assuming that other AV companies virus signature databases are of similar sizes, try having a commonalty/naming convention and you should see how futile this would be when the volume of viruses/malware is constantly increasing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security