Author Topic: Yahoo Finance Blocked by Web Shield  (Read 3329 times)

Ken430tx

Yahoo Finance Blocked by Web Shield
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:50:38 PM »
I have been having problems getting finance.yahoo.com to show my portfolios in their MarketTracker. I can see real-time quotes in the ordinary pages at finance.yahoo, but no portfolios appear in MarketTracker. I was in the process of complaining to Yahoo (since its a paid service) when I thought to disable the Web Shield  provider in Avast Home Edition.

Eureka! problem dissappears immediately.  When I re-enable Avast Web Shield it again blocks the real-time quote updates to my portfolio from yahoo.finance.

Any way to enable the real time quotes and keep AVAST Web Shield running?

Ken

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Yahoo Finance Blocked by Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:51:53 PM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it have any privacy function, if so try disabling that ?

A forum search for MarketTracker returns this hit:
roddy,
your problem seems to be completely different in nature. Streaming applications usually abuse HTTP port to establish two-way communication that does not fully fulfills the HTTP protocol. Web proxies such as webshield might have problems with them. Usually this is originated in some java applet in your browser that bypasses Proxies, but as WebShield redirects automatically all connections from Internet Explorer (and the Java applet is hosted in iexplore) and there we start to have the problem.

Surely disabling webshield helps, but it would also be enough to ignore the specific streaming servers from WebShield's redirect.

Open the Market Tracker, let it connect and start displaying the real-time quotes, than run netstat or TcpView and see what IP addresses is the Media Tracker window connected to. Then - add those IPs to the "Ignored addresses" box in the Basic tab of WebShield config. That should help.

So I guess if you fix to the ignored addresses, let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security