Author Topic: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX & KB917344 missing issue  (Read 15366 times)

Port_H

Hello. I'm a new avast! forum member, from Portugal. I was downloading Panda ActiveX control in pandasoftware.com, when suddenly, avast interrupted the download with a virus detection warning- it found Win32:CTX in the download, so i didn't finish it. This was totally unexpected. I can't believe that Panda ActiveX required to use Panda ActiveScan is infected, but at thet same time, i'm not sure if i want to download it anymore, as avast keeps detecting a virus in it! Does Panda ActiveX really have a virus, or has it not ?

I wish to use at least one good online virus/spyware scanner to complement my avast antivirus, especially when i have any new suspicious file or archive that i want to double check. I know there are some in the web. Which is the one you think has the best detection rate ? Thank you.

Side note: Let me know if my avatar picture is visible to anyone or if it appears blank with a red "x" in the corner, because i uploaded it directly from a folder in my PC, instead of linking to a image in a website, procedure not allowed in another web forum where i'm a member.  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:58:12 AM by Port_H »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX !
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:32:30 AM »
The problem is Panda don't encrypt their signature files and avast is able to se the signature and alerts on it. Personally I wouldn't use Panda not just because of the unencrypted signatures but also because it dumps all that junk in the system32 (depending on OS) folder making it difficult to remove as system restore makes a copy and avast finds the copy made by system restore. All in all a pain in the rear.

On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt

Your avatar is visible to me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Port_H

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:03 AM »
Uau(don't remember how to spell this in english)! I got a reply at a new time record!  :D

Personally I wouldn't use Panda not just because of the unencrypted signatures but also because it dumps all that junk in the system32 (depending on OS) folder making it difficult to remove as system restore makes a copy and avast finds the copy made by system restore. All in all a pain in the rear.

So, Panda install more junk files in the system folder besides the required ActiveX control ?
I think i have to install an ActiveX for every online scanner that i want to use. But, is it easy to uninstall it later if i want to, removing also all the files copied to my PC when i use such scanners ?

On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt
Yeah, but which one do you think has the best detection rate ? Which one do you recommend ?

I sometimes use the multi-engine VirusTotal, which i like, but it has some important drawbacks (the same as any multi-engine scanner that i know): to use it, i have to submit only one file at a time, and then, wait a significant amount of time until the scan is finished (sometimes it also takes a while to start, depending on the size of the file submitted, its position in queue, etc.). Even worse than that, the file submitted has to be relatively small (i think the size limit is 10 MB). On the good side, it gives a greater sense of security and reliability as it uses multiple (currently 32) antivirus scan engines, and i think it doesn't dump any clutter in my PC, and i don't have to install any ActiveX control in order to use it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:37:26 AM by Port_H »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:42:51 AM »
Uau(don't remember how to spell this in english)! I got a reply at a new time record!  :D
Be used to avast forum speed 8)

So, Panda install more junk files in the system folder besides the required ActiveX control ?
Yes. I does.

I think i have to install an ActiveX for every online scanner that i want to use.
Some of them does not use ActiveX as a scanning technology as far I know... maybe I'm wrong.

But, is it easy to uninstall it later if i want to, removing also all the files copied to my PC when i use such scanners ?
The activex control could remain in the disk and could remain in registry keys.
You'll need a registry cleaner and a file junk remover.

Yeah, but which one do you think has the best detection rate ? Which one do you recommend ?
Kasperky and TrendMicro. If you need to remove an infection, BidDefender.
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
AVGas (does not necessary if you have AVG antispyware installed)
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)
HitmanPro (multiply scanners)

I sometimes use the multi-engine VirusTotal, which i like, but it has some important drawbacks (the same as any multi-engine scanner that i know): to use it, i have to submit only one file at a time, and then, wait a significant amount of time until the scan is finished (sometimes it also takes a while to start, depending on the size of the file submitted, its position in queue, etc.). Even worse than that, the file submitted has to be relatively small (i think the size limit is 10 MB). On the good side, it gives a greater sense of security and reliability as it uses multiple (currently 32) antivirus scan engines, and i think it doesn't dump any clutter in my PC, and i don't have to install any ActiveX control in order to use it.
But it's not a full computer scanning, just a file scanner.
You can send the file by email (faster to submit as depend on your email sending speed).

Virus Total is the best, in our opinion because:
1) It uses the Windows version of the AVs so avast has more unpackers for windows and that is the version most are using.
2) There are 32 different scanning engines greater than the others.
3) It also has an email submission option for periods when they are busy and you get a reply.
4) It can cue the submission and you can carry on browsing and you will eventually (not to long) get your result displayed.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:05:57 AM »
@ Port_H
I haven't used an on-line scanner in a very long time and that was mainly down to the fact that most of them used activeX and for that you needed to use IE and I avoid IE like the plague. So I would tend to go with one of the JAVA ones which I can connect to using firefox my browser of choice. That would limit you to TrendMicro's HouseCall if you don't want to use activeX. If you aren't that concerned about using activeX based scanners then any of the ones Tech listed would be fine.

Multi-engined scanners are really only used to check a single file for confirmation of a suspicious/infected file, so the need to scan multiple files I would tend to use one of the single engine on-line scanners. The size restriction of 10 or 15 MB VT or Jotti I don't think is unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't want to be uploading anything even close using dial-up.

One thing Tech didn't mention about VT, there is nothing to stop you opening another browser Tab or Window and uploading another file whilst waiting for the other to finish. So as Tech said you don't have to wait around, just carry on browsing and go back later and check the results.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Port_H

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:34:42 AM »
Virus Total is the best, in our opinion because:
1) It uses the Windows version of the AVs so avast has more unpackers for windows and that is the version most are using.
Sorry, i didn't get this. Can you rephrase it ?(in portuguese, preferably)

4) It can cue the submission and you can carry on browsing and you will eventually (not to long) get your result displayed.
You don't have to wait too long, if the file submitted is small. Even so, it takes a while until the results are displayed for all the AV engines. I like to use it when there's only one small file that i need to be scanned. Today i submitted a large program installer archive, and waited VERY, VERY LONG (more than 1 hour, i even thought that IE stopped responding- i had time to take a bath, then returned and browse the web, etc.) just to finally see, at last, a blank screen with a message saying the file exceeded the size limit allowed. But at the time i submitted it, i didn't see anywhere in the page a warning informing what the size limit was! I was a bit disappointed, i can't deny :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:38:04 AM by Port_H »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 03:34:22 AM »
1. The windows version of avast is able to open more different types of archive (zip files, etc.) these archive types are also called packers as they pack large files into smaller archives. VirusTotal uses the windows version of avast so supports more different archive types (packers).

4. If a file is likely to take a long time to upload to be able to be scanned by VT, then perhaps it might be quicker to do a scan of that specific file using some of the better online scanners mentioned by Tech, whilst this might be less scanners you wouldn't have to be uploading the very large file.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:40:25 AM by DavidR »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:53:45 PM »
Sorry, i didn't get this. Can you rephrase it ?(in portuguese, preferably)
It's an English-only forum. Sorry.
But, Jotti (another on-line scanner) uses Linux versions of the antivirus.
Windows versions have more unpackers.

You don't have to wait too long, if the file submitted is small. Even so, it takes a while until the results are displayed for all the AV engines. I like to use it when there's only one small file that i need to be scanned. Today i submitted a large program installer archive, and waited VERY, VERY LONG (more than 1 hour, i even thought that IE stopped responding- i had time to take a bath, then returned and browse the web, etc.) just to finally see, at last, a blank screen with a message saying the file exceeded the size limit allowed. But at the time i submitted it, i didn't see anywhere in the page a warning informing what the size limit was! I was a bit disappointed, i can't deny :-\
Use the email, it's faster and more reliable than to wait the browser upload.
There is also a Firefox extension for Virus Total submission.

Port_H

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:16 PM »
4. If a file is likely to take a long time to upload to be able to be scanned by VT, then perhaps it might be quicker to do a scan of that specific file using some of the better online scanners mentioned by Tech, whilst this might be less scanners you wouldn't have to be uploading the very large file.

Yes, i agree. I'll try Kaspersky online scan. I saw it also has a online tool in the same webpage -Kaspersky File Scanner- i intend  to try. One minor correction, to Tech: the right link to Kaspersky online scan is Kaspersky, not Kaspersky.

Virus total has no information in its main page on file size limit for the submitted files. Only if you click the link on "Email/Uploader" it is explained in the section 'Enviando arquivos por email' ('Sending files by email') that the file to be scanned, that you should attach to the mail, must not exceed 10 MB in size. From that, i supposed that the files submitted directly in the main page also had to be 10 MB maximum, but i had no confirmation on this. It'd be good if this information was visible next to the upload file box, or at least, if some message informing that, appeared immediately after trying to submit a file larger than the size limit. Just my opinion.

1. The windows version of avast is able to open more different types of archive (zip files, etc.) these archive types are also called packers as they pack large files into smaller archives. VirusTotal uses the windows version of avast so supports more different archive types (packers).

But, Jotti (another on-line scanner) uses Linux versions of the antivirus.
Windows versions have more unpackers.

OK, i think i got it: so, avast for Windows is able to unpack and scan inside more different types of archive than other avast versions.

Use the email, it's faster and more reliable than to wait the browser upload.
There is also a Firefox extension for Virus Total submission.

Why is email more reliable than browser upload ?
I don't use Firefox. If i wanted, i could download instead the VirusTotal uploader It "enables you to directly send files from your system using the context menu."
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:21:16 PM by Port_H »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »
One minor correction, to Tech: the right link to Kaspersky online scan is Kaspersky, not Kaspersky.
Thanks for the correction.

It'd be good if this information was visible next to the upload file box, or at least, if some message informing that, appeared immediately after trying to submit a file larger than the size limit. Just my opinion.
It's mine too. Information is a must have.
OK, i think i got it: so, avast for Windows is able to unpack and scan inside more different types of archive than other avast versions.
Yeah.

Why is email more reliable than browser upload ?
Because the transmission is faster, because you can be sure the 'connection' does not drop in the middle like in the browser, etc. Just my opinion.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 04:02:26 PM »
@ Port_H
They used to have the max file size on the web page, but that seems to have gone since the new revised web site, so I don't know if that 10MB size restriction for email also applies to uploads.

There used to be a difference between VT and Jotti on the max file size you could upload one was 15MB and the other 10MB and Jotti still indicates 10MB max on its web page. So there is some confusion as to the max upload file size, I have emailed info and asked for confirmation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:50 PM »
Update, I have had a reply to my email at virustotal and they confirm that the max file size is 10MB for both email and web submission.

Port_H

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 08:31:52 PM »
You have been useful and dedicated. Thank you, guys. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »
Your welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
You have been useful and dedicated. Thank you, guys. :)
But do you still have a problem and need help or not?
Can we help further?