Author Topic: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX & KB917344 missing issue  (Read 15498 times)

Port_H

Re: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX !
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
I would say you're pretty good on this. You're learning fast. Your posts are in pretty English and very well formated too. Congratulations.
LOL

So Tech, is KB937143-IE7 truly missing in your system, like Belarc reported (even tough Windows Update says nothing), or rather, you confirmed that you have it, and so Belarc wrongly reported it as missing ? It would be useful to know.
I've downloaded it manually. When I try to install, the installer reported that my system doesn't need this update. So, I don't have it, it's not listed into Add/Remove programs, and Belarc is wrongly reporting it in my opinion.

So, as I have it installed (and therefore, need it), but you don't have it nor need it, my guess is that you don't have the same OS as I have, or you don't have the same Windows components, or you don't have IE7.

Now, about KB917344, which both Trend Micro Housecall and Belarc Advisor reported as a missing update/vulnerability, i ckecked all my installed Windows Updates and Internet Explorer Updates listed in 'Add or Remove Programs' and verified that i don't have it. Could any of you who have Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and Internet Explorer 7 check in your system if it is listed under 'Add or Remove Programs', please ?

If I knew that someone with the same OS as mine, and with IE7, with all the needed Windows Updates installed to date, had KB917344, then, I'd think that perhaps this update was truly necessary to my system, and i should download and install it manually.
So, i'm still waiting for your answer, guys.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
my guess is that you don't have the same OS as I have, or you don't have the same Windows components, or you don't have IE7.
Could be. For sure mine is Portuguese (Brazilian) XP SP2 fully updated to this language.
The best things in life are free.

Port_H

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 03:43:15 PM »
I don't get this. The fact that you have the Portuguese (Brazilian) edition of Windows XP SP2 while i have the Portuguese (Portugal) edition of the same OS shouldn't make any difference in what comes to the updates necessary and available in the Windows Update site, because the identification number of the updates are the same, no matter the language version. But what do I know ?
Unless you have the Professional Edition, not the Home Edition of XP, and perhaps that could explain the difference. And do you also have Internet Explorer 7 fully updated ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:50:57 PM by Port_H »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »
Because the identification number of the updates are the same, no matter the language version.
But the downloaded files are different... I don't know how Belarc manages this.

But what do I know ?
Nothing. Trust on Windows Update.

Unless you have the Professional Edition, not the Home Edition of XP, and perhaps that could explain the difference. And do you also have Internet Explorer 7 fully updated ?
Oops. I have the Pro version. IE7 fully updated.

Port_H

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 01:06:36 AM »
Now, about KB917344, which both Trend Micro Housecall and Belarc Advisor reported as a missing update/vulnerability, i ckecked all my installed Windows Updates and Internet Explorer Updates listed in 'Add or Remove Programs' and verified that i don't have it. Could any of you who have Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and Internet Explorer 7 check in your system if it is listed under 'Add or Remove Programs', please ?

If I knew that someone with the same OS as mine, and with IE7, with all the needed Windows Updates installed to date, had KB917344, then, I'd think that perhaps this update was truly necessary to my system, and i should download and install it manually.
So, i'm still waiting for your answer, guys.

I can't figure out why nobody attended to this simple request...But it doesn't matter anymore.

Anyway, I posted this issue at Microsoft Discussion Groups > microsoft.public.windowsupdate and i'm getting specialized help on this.
I've found that if KB917344 had been successfully applied, the file jscript.dll (on Windows\system32) should be version 5.6.0.8831, but turns out that my jscript.dll is the old version (v. 5.6.0.8825), so it hasn't been updated as it should. However, my Windows registry keys correspond to version 5.6.0.8831, and not to the version of the file I have, and that explains why the Microsoft Update website doesn’t prompt me to install KB917344. It appears that 'something' did not allow the file to be updated but did allow the change in the registry.

Anyone interested and those who want to know the details and further developments on this should go to http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=7120113e-4d54-4875-9495-b2032abe671e. There, search for Hugo_Pt in the search box, and my thread should appear in the search results. It is titled 'Missing Windows update reported as a vulnerability by TMH...'

I thank DavidR and Tech for their willingness.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:18:56 AM by Port_H »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX & KB917344 missing issue
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 01:36:52 AM »
I can't figure out why nobody attended to this simple request...But it doesn't matter anymore.
It's nothing personal, just that we don't have that much people form Portugal here. Another guy from there is VaMPiRiC_CRoW.
So, in your case Belarc was reporting correctly and Microsoft wrongly? Is it this way?

Port_H

Re: Avast interrupted download of Panda ActiveX & KB917344 missing issue
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2007, 02:36:04 AM »
It's nothing personal, just that we don't have that much people form Portugal here. Another guy from there is VaMPiRiC_CRoW.
Someone from Portugal wasn't necessary. Only someone with Windows XP Home SP2 and IE7 fully updated. Although the update could be different depending on the language, it is still and always KB917344, no matter if the downloaded file is -PTG.exe, -PTB.exe, -ENU.exe, -FRA.exe, -ITA.exe, etc. (different language versions of the same Windows update).

So, in your case Belarc was reporting correctly and Microsoft wrongly? Is it this way?

Belarc and Housecall reported correctly about KB917344, because my jscript.dll wasn't updated to version 5.6.0.8831 as it should be if KB917344 had been applied correctly. My Windows registry could be matching with the update, but my Windows\system32\jscript.dll don't. See my thread in http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=7120113e-4d54-4875-9495-b2032abe671e for details.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:02:47 PM by Port_H »